The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door Panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjohnm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Panels
    Posted: 28-July-2006 at 2:04PM
Hi, I have a 72 Gran Torino Sport that only lacks one thnig for total restoration. I need inside door panels. Mine are flaking to pieces. I have checked with Dearborn Classics and Autokrafters with no success. Does anyone have any ideas on restoring or replacing them? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you

John Murray
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 3:17PM
Well they are kind of pricey, but JUST DASHES  can restore your original panels to brand new. i think its just dashes.com
tj
Pauly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 12:46PM
DearbornClassics has almost everything you need and you can order a car specific catalog for free.  The pricing is really pretty fair also.Star
Pauly
rtgreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 2:50AM

Dearborn Classics does not have Gran Torino Sport door panels. They only carry the standard Gran Torino panels.

72 Gran Torino Sport Q 4spd in Light Pewter Metallic

2012 Mustang GT (Brembo) 5.0, 6MT, 3.55s

1995 Bronco - 5.0 5spd.

tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 7:55AM
TRY BLUE OVAL .COM OR WATCH EBAY THEY SHOW UP FROM TIME TO TIME.
Pauly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2006 at 11:30AM

Sorry I'm new to the restoration game. In there #2 and #3 super saver kit for( fast back buckets) Gran Torino 72 and 73 they show door panels included in the kit so I assumed they sold them seperate as well.

Edited by Pauly - 19-August-2006 at 11:31AM
Pauly
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2006 at 3:38AM
If you are refering to the plastic Sport style panels, I was under the impression that Dearborn Classics (ir anyone for that matter) did not offer them new. I think the panel in their kit is the standard vinyl wrapped door panel.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72Torinoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2006 at 8:54AM
I'm having the same issue, same model car 1972 Gran Torino Sport, i have the blue door panels and mine have flaked to almost nothing.  I have found someone who made theirs look really good, this person also did a really neat Dash job as well. DearBorn had the door panels at one time, but haven't in a while. I check them often but no luck here lately. Check out this page of a cardomain owner who did a good job on his: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/831379/3    These are just like mine and i'm hoping to do just as good of a job.  www.cardomain.com/id/chris72foru, this is my ride.
-Chris Pruitt
Lowe's Communications & Research
TechMdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechMdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2006 at 10:43AM
Ive never used them but sms auto autofabrics web site says they can reproduce them. look at their door panels section . they are in oregon. www.smsautofabrics.com
Tech Mdawg                 1975 Ford Torino Elite
1973 Gran Torino "sold"
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 6:50AM
What color do you need?
I have seen my share of panels in the last couple months, mainly black.
I have a set of black and a ginger set which I am getting redone into grey to match my 77 Ranchero dash color.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 12:30AM
Mine are the Medium blue color. I've heard that mine can be repainted, the soft vinyl is in great shape but the hard vinyl near the top of the panels are in terrible shape. That's just about all i've seen is black, also looking for a nice blue Dash Pad, but i know where i can get one, just don't have that much money right now. Let me know if you have some blue ones! Thanks!
-Chris Pruitt
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 7:18PM
Ah, no luck on the blue dash...I have not come accross one in some time...last one I picked up was well over 2 years ago! Sorry!
I would suggest picking up a dashcap if nothing else...around $100 last I checked.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 2:35AM
Thanks, i really appreciate you looking. If you ever do run across any, let me know! I've got so much work to do!! LOL Have a great day!
-Chris Pruitt
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 4:54AM
Do the dash caps look decent?  My dash is in good condition except for one big crack right in the center.  My car is a resto-mod so my only concern is that the dash pad would look decent.  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Torinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 7:23AM
Yea, they're in good shape overall, there's about 3-4 small cracks throughout the dash, most are about 3-4 inches long, so nothing major.  Mainly because they're so spread out, makes them look worse than they are. Dear Born had the Blue pad for $269, but it's currently unavailable, i actually ordered one and order wouldn't go through until December 2006.  So i cancelled and figured i'd hold our for a little while.
-Chris Pruitt
 Post Reply Post Reply