The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cavity Wax for undercoating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cavity Wax for undercoating
    Posted: 08-April-2012 at 3:42AM
Cavity Wax

This question was asked in legend onirot's progress thread about after you weld on a new quarter skin how to protect between the wheel well and outer sheet metal.It also can be used inside doors especially at the bottom where they rot out from water sitting.or put in an undercoat gun with wand and spray inside your rocker panels.

here are a few types and brands,it sprays in as a liquid and then dries to a wax that coats the metal but will seep into the crevice.

3M Rust Fighter-I Aerosol - 08892   amber color when dry

3M Rust Fighter-I Aerosol - 08892
3M Rust Fighter-I - 08891 qt for shutz gun or undercoating gun
3M Rust Fighter-I - 08891
3M Rust Fighter-I Application Wand - 08998
3M Rust Fighter-I Application Wand - 08998
3M Schutz Applicator Gun - 08997
3M Schutz Applicator Gun - 08997

Noxudol 750 - Rusproofing Agent - Cavity Wax

Noxudol 750 - Rusproofing Agent - Cavity Wax

Eastwood makes some really good restoration products and found this
 Eastwood Black Heavy Duty Anti Rust
it comes in qt to put in undercoat gun or aerosol

Heavy Duty Anti Rust Quarts BlackEastwoods Anti Rust with ext. nozzle black

Undercoating Gun and 2 Hoses & Bottle

Item #20441

http://www.eastwood.com/undercoating-gun-and2-hoses-bottle.html

Undercoating Gun and 2 Hoses & Bottle
other Eastwood undercoating kits

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 08-April-2012 at 6:09AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 3:56AM
I like the idea of the Eastwood's Black Heavy Duty Anti Rust as it is Black in color and if you use it inside the quarters it will look like black undercoating where as the 3M Rust fFighter dries to a amber  like color.Inside doors and rockers is fine to use the 3M Rust fighter as you don't see it,but when you open the trunk you can see the back of the quarters and that is where I would use the Eastwood product

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 08-April-2012 at 6:11AM
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 4:33AM
Is the 3M stuff hard when it dries (like candle wax) or still a bit spongie? How does it stand up to getting scuffed by things bouncing around in the trunk? I was thinking about spraying my trunk with tintable bed liner on the backside of the quarters....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 4:41AM
the 3M stays soft and that is why I wouldn't use it in the trunk.
I would however spray the Eastwood Black Anti Rust along the wheel well and the bottom of the rear quarter at the crevie's as it will get in deeper then the bedliner,but keep it only in those crevice area's and use your tintable bedliner on the backside of the quarter

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 08-April-2012 at 6:12AM
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 5:44AM
Thanks Jeff, I'll consider those products for my project.....
BTW, If I use the Eastwood stuff down in the trunk dropoff to seal the quater/trunk drop and wheelhouse seams, can I then shoot the black over top of it once it sets?

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-April-2012 at 5:48AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 6:16AM
yes but like I said only put it in the crevice and try not to get it all over the quarter and same thing around the wheel well as the  Cavity Wax products don't harden so you only want to spray it in the crevice to keep out moisture and water from seeping down in between the tight crevice of the 2 metals
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 8:56AM
THANKS Jeff!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 12:59PM

I just used the Eastwood Anti Rust to spray the cowl area around under the wiper transmission area. I like it because I coul go through the cowl openings on the side and turn the applicator to spray 360 degrees. I used it in the lower quarters and inside the frame rails on my GTO.  Left a rubbery waxy coating.  There are two tpyes, mine was not the black, but it looks black.

Randy

SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 12:45PM
Thank you for this info and replying the question in forementioned threadSmile -Aatu
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 1:13PM
yah in the catalog Eastwood sells an amber colored Anti rust but don't see it on the website
we just bought some of the single stage urethane black to paint some parts for a wrecked
Cavalier so they send you a catalog with their products every time you order something.
I like Eastwood and because of where I live now I get the stuff the next day if i order it at the right time.

They make some really good products.

I want to use their 2K Ceramic Chassis Black when I do my frame,my brother used it on his 
52 2dr Cadillac frame and it came out great
 Post Reply Post Reply