The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP Freaking out!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP Freaking out!
    Posted: 12-April-2012 at 8:32AM
I started the engine and had it running for a while and started getting white smoke and a decent amount of it. All of my fluid levels were fine, nothing was leaking out of the engine and the fluid levels were fine when I checked the engine when it was cold again. 

My buddy who builds mustangs was telling me now that I got everything moving through the engine again that I'm just blowing old crap out of it.

I hope this is true.
Any advice from fellow Cleveland owners?
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 8:39AM
If the levels are fine, it could have just been condensation. My truck will occasionally smoke pretty good when first started and the humidity/air temp is just right.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 10:14AM
Here in N Y if its cold enough cars will smoke for a while. If its a head gasket you should smell the antifreeze esp if it does not have catalistic converters.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 10:49AM
could be bad valve seals if it's and old motor.
My 429 smokes and that is what m mechanic friend told me was most likely the problem.
Not really a big deal to do but will need a tool which srews into the spark plug hole and blows air in the cylinders to keep the valve from falling.you will also need a valve spring compressor and a magnet tool to pull the keepers from the retainers so you don't loose them down inside the engine.
You replace one cylinder at a time as you will have to pressurize each cylinder with air to hold the valves up.what happens is the oil leaks down in the cylinder and burns it which creates the smoke and happens to engines that sit for a long time as they dry out and crack or motors with high mileage can sometimes do it.

This is my 72 GTS and the 69 429 that smokes,click on photo to watch video

watch this video on how to replace valve seals

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 12-April-2012 at 11:04AM
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2012 at 2:23PM
Ok I'll look into it, sorry it took so long to get back.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
 Post Reply Post Reply