The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleveland heads on Windsor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleveland heads on Windsor
    Posted: 21-April-2012 at 3:05PM
So the 69 and 70 boss 302 is basically Cleveland heads on a Windsor, I want to know if I can do the same with my 73 Windsor, a guy I know is willing to give me a set of '70 Cleveland heads for free. Is it worth it, will their be any noticeable power gains? Will it really work?
dvldog2513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 6:10PM
yes you can put cleveland heads on a windsor they call it a clevor but you have to have machine work done for the water passages to drill new ones and plug the old ones.You have to buy a special intake to fit.B&A use to make the intake but I don't if they are still in business .From what I understand 2 bbl heads were used and stock heads are worth around 50 hp.I have never done it but i have read about it.  
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 7:32PM
intakes for 2V Cleveland heads are available from Tim Meyer and also Edelbrock

the real Boss 302 used the larger port 4V style heads, on a 302 block you could do the coolant mods and use a real or aftermarket Boss 302 intake on 4V cleveland heads

with a mild cam in the Windsor block you can get away with the stock Windsor pistons but for more cam you may find that you need the valve relief notches in the correct location for the canted Cleveland valves. Tim Meyer should have the right pistons for this also, and make sure you choose proper head gaskets Wink

Edited by Rockatansky - 21-April-2012 at 7:34PM
72 GT Ute

colonelsandersman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2012 at 10:21AM
ok I looked around and edelbrock makes a clevor top end package for 2500 bucks not to bad considering all that comes with it. Is it worth doing a boss conversion and the kit comes with a roller cam, what modifications need to be made in order to handle a roller came in my 1973 windsor block?
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 9:57PM
Keep in mind, on the exhaust side, you'll likely have to fab a set of headers. Not a deal breaker, just another detail.
That said, it may be worth calling Stan Johnson @ FPA. When I was looking for headers for my '72 (351W/C-6 combo), he was able to hook me up with a set of his long-tube Mustang headers (which fit like a dream) because, in his experience, "Ford engine bay/steering architecture is very similar among multiple models". He makes a few different Boss 302 headers. You might want to pick his brain in this matter.

Just my two cemts..... Good luck!

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2012 at 5:25PM
well, if it's Edelbrock heads or another option, i'd explore the other option

AFR and probably at least a dozen other companies make decent Windsor style heads that rival or better the Edelbrock Cleveland head. all edelbrock did was come up with a ready to use bolt on replacement head for the 351C-2V, 351M & 400 crowd, they didn't really add anything noteworthy to the original design other than a modern chamber. the 351C-2V intake port has problems in the performance arena  and Edelbrock didn't really do anything to improve it. that said, they are what they are, a new in the box ready to bolt on canted valve alloy head... but it wouldn't be my 1st choice for a Clevor build

you could keep things simpler and build a Windsor with aftermarket heads, that way you wouldn't need to worry about canted valve reliefs or compression height of the pistons, con rod length, pushrod length yada yada yada

the 70 Cleveland heads you can get free, are they 2V or 4V? open or closed chamber? are they usable as is or do they need $750 worth of work?

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply