The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squire wagon wood grain haze

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squire wagon wood grain haze
    Posted: 23-April-2012 at 9:12AM
My wife has grown quite fond of the Squires, especially since I showed her that one from Craigslist. The wood grain decals on that one are hazy. Just out of curiosity at this point, does anyone know the best cure for that? Will 'Nu-Vinyl' do the job? That's all I have been able to find on the subject and it's actually from a 1976 Toledo, Ohio newspaper! :

David
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2012 at 9:22AM
Once they start hazing, they are about shot. I used Lemon Pledge years ago on my mom's and they always looked great - we had the car for a long time, too. Of course, hers were in good condition to begin with. I am looking at painting my woodgrain on, as the decals are just absurdly high and temporary, at best.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2012 at 9:33AM
Try peanut butter in a small corner and see what happens.

I'm not joking. Rub some (smooth, not crunchy) on a small rag or towel, and make a circular motion, as if you were waxing, then remove excess. The oils from the peanut butter will stick to the vinyl and bring back the color. I do this every few weeks on my '77, as it has the colored side moldings, and it brings them back nicely. Make a sandwich when you are done.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2012 at 10:08AM
Piss off a bunch of squirrels, LOL!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 8:21AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Try peanut butter in a small corner and see what happens.

I'm not joking. Rub some (smooth, not crunchy) on a small rag or towel, and make a circular motion, as if you were waxing, then remove excess. The oils from the peanut butter will stick to the vinyl and bring back the color. I do this every few weeks on my '77, as it has the colored side moldings, and it brings them back nicely. Make a sandwich when you are done.

Gotta love those folk remedies....will definitely file that away for future reference. Thumbs Up
David
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 10:23AM
 Peanut Butter gee thats clever , right up there with sand blastin with walnut shells , really they do that , I just cann't remember where,   ,  it should work  like taking out small scratches in your windsheild with toothpaste , ( without the oily residue ) 
albos73gts
 Post Reply Post Reply