The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

76 Ranchero Front fender removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Ranchero Front fender removal
    Posted: 07-May-2012 at 2:18PM
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the front fender by its self or does the front need to come off first? or can the front clip come of in one piece? Any one have any pics
blindrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 8:50AM
This is also something I would like to know. From looking at my 73 I almost think that I could remove both front fenders header and radiator support all as one piece. Will someone correct if I'm wrong. Tried searching didn't see anything but if it's anything like the 80's and 90's F-series trucks it was

Hood off

Front frame mount nuts / bolts near bottom corners of radiator 

bolt under rear bottom side of front fender 

bolt inside door jam / reach with long extension and door open

couple of bolts on top of fender near cowel

and two to three people to help lift off and set to the side (don't forget wiring and hoses)

This is the route I have been planning on unless someone could correct this.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 9:31AM
you can do it either way
fenders can be removed but you will have to unbolt the headlight extensions to separate it from the fender then unbolt the inner fender from the edge of the fender then you will have to unbolt and remove the hood as the hood hinges bolt to the fender. after that remove the bolts at the cowl area and at bottom of the fender and it should come off

you can also remove the front clip which requires draining the radiator and removing the hoses and tranny lines from the rad.if it is A/c equipped you will have to unhook the lines to the condensor
disconnect the wire harness at the firewall
after that it is simply remove the 2 bolts that go from rad support to frame then unbolt the inner fender bolts going to the firewall and bolts at top of cowl,front hinge pillar and bottom rear of  fenders and then the whole clip including hood can come off in one piece
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 9:42AM
I removed the fenders off the 73 formal I had and removed hood
then  unbolted the grille from header and removed header panel and tool off the fenders with the
headlight extension bolted on.you will have to unbolt them from the rad support
but I left the inner fenders on the car and removed them later
blindrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blindrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 1:35PM
A BIG THANKS FOR THE INFO GOT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I got it. Definitely a lot more bolts than I thought. Although, I only had 3-4 of the small quick nuts break. Still got'em out. 

My friends give me a lot of grief because I only use hand tools 99% of the time. I tend to break less and accomplish just as much though. Ha!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2012 at 2:58PM
didn't waste no time in tearing that car apart,dang you just bought it and now you have the front removed
good job and yes it requires a good amount of bolts to be taken off to remove it separate but if you have no help atleast you can do it yourself unlike when you remove the clip in one piece it requires 2-3 people to lift it off as it has to go up and forward at the same time
 Post Reply Post Reply