The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my ltdIIs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my ltdIIs
    Posted: 15-August-2006 at 11:59AM
Hi i have a 1977 ltd II s, its dark red, with the white hockey stripe, the guy i got it from put 225 70R 14 tires on it, does that effect my speed and how fast im really going?? My Ltd II s has a 302 in it, Someone had tried to redo it at one time and it has all edelbrock stuff on it now, does anyone know how i can get more torque out of it for not that much money?? i plan on putting duel exhaust on it, would headers help or a bigger cam?? its a beautiful car, i love it, just got done putting air shocks on it in the back, and now im putting new shocks on in the front,she kinda bounces around some going down the highway, might need new sway bars on it also, i think i also gotta replace the u joints, when i put it in reverse it clunks some and lurges back,i mean its a big car and it will still smoke the tires but it has a tad bit of a hesitation when i put it to the floor. Thanks cal
cal clark
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2006 at 6:54AM
Cal-
I would consider basics first.
You said the engine was helped out with some aftermarket goodies, but without knowing exactly what you have, you need to sit down at the pile of parts you have.
Think about what the car is going to be used for mst of the time.
Being a 302, it can be hopped up pretty cheap, but to get real perfomance increases, if you have the money, you could look into say a built 351W crate engine.
As far as other things; The transmission, the rear end gearing are two other things to consider.
With a 302, you could opt for a AOD from something like out of a truck or lincoln town car, but you need to find someone who knows what they are doing to set it up properly.  Another gear going down the road does wonders for fun and mileage.
Try to look at the whole picture.  Throwing parts and hard earned cash at the drivetrain w/o a plan can screw things up in a hurry.
As far as your tire question, I don't see it being a major issue, I would of put 15" rims and tires as a start myself, but I have always had atleast a 351w or 351c. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply