The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another headliner question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another headliner question
    Posted: 27-May-2012 at 7:41PM
So i decided to go ahead and continue with doing my interior on my own and let me tell you it is a pain. So far i have about 65% of the headliner on and it looks very good (after a second try, and my two front corners dont look perfect but satisfying). Now the reason i am not 100% done is that now that i have gotten to the rear quarter window area (fastback) i am starting to run into problems getting that "tight headliner" look. Anyone in here done the headliner on a fastback that can provide some tips? Also i am using 3M headliner adhesive. It seems to work well but i read on a mustang thread that it isnt so good and that a headliner adhesive brushed glue should be used as opposed to spray? Anyone have problems with the spray?
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2012 at 6:15AM
I know this is late and you are probably done, but it may help anyone else looking for info.

For glue, any spray adhesive meant for headliners will work.  Don't do brush on.  I used Locktite Headliner adhesive and it looks just like the stuff I used when I did headliners many years ago in a previous life.  Spray the edge of the roof and then the bottom of he material and let it setup and get tacky.

In a nutshell:
  1. Measure and mark center of Headliner
  2. Insert rods and measure to center.  Once centered, cut notch in bow loop 2in inward from each end. Work rod out each hole you just created (this will allow you to move the HL a bit side to side)
  3. Clip bows into car. Order doesn't matter in my case. just put em all up the right spot.
  4. Spray front above windshield and back a bit along sides on car and headliner
  5. Start in center of windshield and tack.
  6. Move from center out working each side as you go. 
  7. Tug on bow material to get wrinkles out and tack sides as you work back
  8. Tack each side back until you get to last bow (above front of rear window in my car).
  9. Cut material 2 in from window curve to give you a long straight piece in the middle and stretch and tack that to the back window starting at the center like you did the front.  This allows you to get the excess material out of your way.
  10. Cut and tack  the window corners
  11. Tack and tuck the sides from last bow (where you stopped in #8) to bottom of rear window.
  12. Tack  the top of sail panel to window lip along trunk
  13. Glue material to sail panel material if it exists (I replaced mine, YMMV)
  14. Tack bottom of sail panel
  15. Trimming excess material out of the way as you go (leave 1-3 inches just in case)
For the Sail Panel specifically, I eyeballed the headliner and cut it about 3 in before the curve of the window opening.  this allowed me to have a long straight piece in the center of the rear window I could pull taught and stick in place.  I used a bunch of clothes Pins to kind of keep everything in place (probably didn't need them, but...)

So without the center flopping around in my face, I took the extra material for the sail panel and got it to lay back along the package tray.  I then worked from the center of the window (where I cut the material) and got the top bend in each corner in place.  Here is where art meets science. You have to cut 3-5 reliefs to take the tension off the material without letting the cut tear into the interior. 

Once the corner is done, I tacked the rear window area down from bow above the window down to the end.   I also had to replace the insulation/material in the sail panel area with some 1/2 in foam.  I cut it to fit above the serrated piece that holds the bottom.  Once to this step, I sprayed a small bit of glue on the foam and the sail panel material.  I then pulled the material rearward and tacked the top.  Then I pulled it down and attached it to the serrated part (more glue than teeth holding it).  The part glued to the foam sat nice and smooth.

My biggest problem was the last seam over the back windows.  On the pass side I have some small waves I can't get out.  The drivers side (which I did last, lol) is perfect.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
 Post Reply Post Reply