The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barn Finds in Their Original Surroundings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barn Finds in Their Original Surroundings
    Posted: 29-May-2012 at 2:33AM
After getting my Rancheros from what was left of a barn, I thought it would be cool to show some pics of members cars that were found in barns, fields, etc in their original surroundings (before cleaning or bringing home). I know that GTW and Eliteman have some awesome shots of their cars as they found them.

My Rancheros. Were parked in a barn 10+ years ago, barn rotted away, and I had to cut trees and bushes down just to take the pics and haul off. Tires sank all the way to the rims on both vehicles. Note the sawdust from the trees on both and the stumps still stuck in the suspension of the red one. Took 2 hours just to clear them a way out.

My '73 GTS after pulling it from the barn. Couldn't take pics of it in the barn because of the horses.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 3:18AM

Mine before I pulled it out of my dad's backyard. Now, the Buick is in that spot. The top one is how it sat from 1980-2003.

Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 4:09PM
This is how I found Ol' Brown in the field outside Milwaukee Wisconsin...

Here is the pic the guy sent me when we were making the deal...

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 4:47PM
there was a barn over those Ranchero's? rotted away? there is no trace of any poles even

how's that Sport hood,the underside rotted or good?
I need to find me a deal like that as I need parts and want a Sport hood for the wagon when I get it, need the grille surround and 2 grille surround moldings and 2 sets of good bezels as both cars are shot.

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 29-May-2012 at 4:50PM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 1:50AM
I cut what was left of the poles down to get at the trucks. Otherwise, you couldn't see anything of them other than a spot on the bright red one. I cut trees, poles, hauled wood, siding and mounds of debris, raked, mowed, and clipped bushes just to get those pics. I even removed a fence. Hauled (scrapped) the red Ranchero off today with stumps still attached to the frame.

Both Sport hoods are in great shape. In fact, all exterior panels are good except the lower 1/4 panels and pans on the red one.

Edited by unlovedford - 30-May-2012 at 1:54AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 2:56AM
Here is a '73 MGT I found and dragged home for parts. She was to far gone to save.

Here is how & where my current '72 MGt was found;

They had to cut down 2 trees to get it out of the back yard
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 4:21AM
Ian, that last shot of the blue GT looked very familiar. I hook a chain to all the cars I strip and flip them up on their sides with my Wrangler. Makes nice and easy work for cutting pans, removing suspension and exhaust systems. Easier to stand and work than lie on my back under a spider and varmit-infested junker.

Besides, the neighborhood kids (and guys) enjoy the show.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 12:01PM
Wasn't much in the way of floor in that one!!!!!!
or anything else for that matter
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 12:46PM
My Wagon as found in the front driveway of a neighboring City:

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 2:26PM
Wow, those are some really amazing photos.
Here are a few photos of my "driveway" find. No barn, but there was a garage with a roof just behind the car that they could have put it in and didn't! Car sat in driveway for 4 years without being started as the ex husband kept the keys in the divorce! Good thing it sat on the blacktop drive, had it been sitting in their yard with the other 10 cars it would probably have been a parts car by now:
Other than a mouse house in the headliner and one in the cowling, 2 well preserved mice in the radiator overflow tank (anti freeze seems to make a good embalming fluid!) and some bird poop on the seats it was relatively un abused by natures friends....
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 1:56PM
I always love walking up to the owner of a car like these and asking what they want for it and they tell you its not for sale because they have plans for it. Then 5 years later you drive by and it is still rotting into the ground!
1975 Ford Torino
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2012 at 6:49AM
As those who have looked through my progress thread, here was the beginning...
June 2001: Barn was no bigger than the GTS and starting to fall down. The car had been there since 1985. What I still recall to this day was the shear amount of walnuts the mice had packed in the air cleaner, on top of the cleveland, and the layer of dust this car had on it.

I still remember finding mice nests in the cj's 4v heads...and the shear amount of mess I had cleaning up all that glass. Car sat untouched from 85 to april 2001, then three mindless little brats had to go into that bar and took and smashed all the glass out.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 5:02PM
Those sure are some sweet GT hoods. Probably fit on a 75, right? Depending on whether I keep my current hood with the retarded hole I cut in it, it's feasible I may look for a GT replacement. My experience finding these have been unproductive. How much would such a thing cost if I found one?
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2012 at 6:27PM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Those sure are some sweet GT hoods. Probably fit on a 75, right? Depending on whether I keep my current hood with the retarded hole I cut in it, it's feasible I may look for a GT replacement. My experience finding these have been unproductive. How much would such a thing cost if I found one?
papadeath, '72 gt scooped hood will not fit directly onto a 73-76. You would have to graft the 72 scooped section of skin onto the later.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2012 at 4:39AM
"Looked" at a '72 Sportroof last night that has been sitting for years under a canopy of trees on a concrete slab. It was so dirty and had so much stuff piled on and around it that there was just a small speck of red paint visible under a pile of tables, parts, and assorted things. I was going to shoot a pic, but C asked why I was bothering to since it just looked like a bunch of junk piled up by some water-filled, mosquito-laden water barrels. The owner is supposed to get it pulled out and all the parts laid out around it for me to see tonight.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2012 at 4:41AM
If I leave my Cougar parked for a little while longer, it may well be a garage find. Ermm
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2012 at 5:07AM

Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

"Looked" at a '72 Sportroof last night that has been sitting for years under a canopy of trees on a concrete slab. It was so dirty and had so much stuff piled on and around it that there was just a small speck of red paint visible under a pile of tables, parts, and assorted things. I was going to shoot a pic, but C asked why I was bothering to since it just looked like a bunch of junk piled up by some water-filled, mosquito-laden water barrels. The owner is supposed to get it pulled out and all the parts laid out around it for me to see tonight.

Joe, Please keep in mind that those old sport hoods can be very dangerous and filled with any of a multitude of hazzards.  Because of this, I am offering (for a limited time) a free removal and haul off service on sport hoods to more quickly allow access for the sawzall.

Randy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2012 at 5:20AM
Randy, thank you for the concern. Since I have the reputation of being a clumsy, injury-prone collector of anything mechanical, I shall keep you in mind if I ever decide to heed these wise words!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 4:34AM

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 4:37AM
Is that car in Cleveland TN?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 4:41AM
YES, great eye. Picking it up today. How did you know?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 9:12AM
DANG IT Joe !!!!!!!!!! lol
Man who dies with the most toys wins. You are well ahead of the game  Cool
1973 Q code sports roof

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 9:37AM
I'm not winning, LOL. 3 crappers do not equal 1 nice one. Yours, my friend, is a NICE one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 11:12AM

I believe me and my soon to be ex-girlfirend at the time saw this car maybe two, three years ago?  She didn't want to stop and look at it.

Now I stop and look at what I want to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 1:34PM
I have a good chick. She helps me scope things out.

This red beauty is happily at home with me now sitting by the garage.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2012 at 3:54PM
sorry, it was dark when i drug it out of the barn. no pictures, this was taken the next day.  1969 montego wagon 351w.        parked with a bad coil in the 80's.  we made it run and then sold it.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

silver5oh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver5oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2013 at 12:12PM
Oh man what I wouldn't give to find a Montego wagon like that!!!!! Way cool!!!!! 
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2013 at 7:03AM
What I would like to find in a barn....here in the states....is a 1972 Fairlane ZF. Won't ever happen though, and shipping from Australia is just way too much.

David
 Post Reply Post Reply