The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would this be an LE?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would this be an LE?
    Posted: 31-May-2012 at 12:36PM
New to the scene and trying to find out how to spot an LE. Is this one for sale the real deal? The paperwork seems to show it is, but I am looking for advice on what to spot to show if it is a good copy or the real thing.

Thanks!!

1975 Ford Torino
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 1:39PM
The paper work,door tag,certainly say real deal. Not too sure about the cowl tag. It should have a PS122  or 0022 on it. Check on the www.starskytorino.com web site. Check the dash serial# it should match the paper work, door tag and cowl tag. I can't quite make them out. Maybe one of the other LE owners on here can confirm the tag.

Edited by 1zebra3 - 31-May-2012 at 1:48PM
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 1:50PM
I considered buying it from him but opted to go the tribute route to save some bucks. Picked up a 75 that I am going to slowly make as accurate as possible.
1975 Ford Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 2:13PM
usually the buck tag has PS 122 stamped on it.
the build sheet says it  Starsky and Hutch  PS 122
and the door sticker has DSO 420022
and the VIN and door sticker match the serial number on the build sheet of 222756
so even though the tag don't have PS 122 it is an LE
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 3:31PM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

usually the buck tag has PS 122 stamped on it.
the build sheet says it  Starsky and Hutch  PS 122
and the door sticker has DSO 420022
and the VIN and door sticker match the serial number on the build sheet of 222756
so even though the tag don't have PS 122 it is an LE

I think he was asking $15,500 which was more than I wanted to spend.
1975 Ford Torino
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 12:03PM
I found this letter interesting:

1975 Ford Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 12:41PM
yah I read that it was dated 1978 so they musta purchased the car used
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 1:37PM
Doesn't that letter contradict the 1,000 number we have come to accept as REAL/FACTORY built S&H cars?

That says they only did 637 at the factory which would mean 363 were POST Factory built/prepped cars.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 1:56PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Doesn't that letter contradict the 1,000 number we have come to accept as REAL/FACTORY built S&H cars?

That says they only did 637 at the factory which would mean 363 were POST Factory built/prepped cars.

I read it as 637 in that year, did they mean 363 more were made into the next calendar year?
1975 Ford Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 3:17PM
If memory serves me correctly, they were ALL run thru the factory during the month of March '76. I'll have to do a bit of digging in the ole archives to find out if this is true or not.....
Will advise my findings.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 3:24PM

News Release
Public Relations, Ford Division
P.O. Box 1509, Dearborn, Mich. 48121
Telephone: (313) 337-7560
February 9, 1976
A production version of the flashy red Ford Gran Torino used by television detectives Starsky and Hutch as a chase car in the popular Wednesday night television series is going to be offered by U.S. Ford dealers.

"The Starsky/Hutch vehicle has that performance car look, and it's exciting a lot of young people," said Douglas T. McClure, Ford Division merchandising manager. "We're delighted that we can make the car available to the general public, even on a limited production basis. It's a colorful addition to our dealerships' showrooms, and a lot of youths are going to have a lot of fun owning and driving it."

The Starsky/Hutch Gran Torino is a bright red two-door hardtop with a white vector paint stripe on each side. A 351 CID V-8 engine is standard with the special production model. Dual racing mirrors and a duluxe bumper group are required as optional equipment.

Ford will produce only about 1,000 of the special versions of the mid- sized car. All of them will be built at Ford's Chicago (Ill.) Assembly Plant. Orders are being accepted now at Ford dealerships. Production begins in March.

The Starsky/Hutch car will be one of Ford Division's spotlight vehicles at the Chicago Auto Show, February 20-29. The division also will display it's new customized vans and many of its regular production cars and trucks at the auto show.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 3:41PM
Well that letter is definetly an interesting piece of history and does raise some interesting questions, it from the 70's and directly from the source, so I wonder the number quoted in the letter is the actual number.
1975 Ford Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 3:57PM
Ford Customer Relations isn't the most accurate of sources even tho you would think they would be THE authority. I had them provide me the info my my latest '76 Gran Torino on two seperate occasions (I thought I had lost the first letter) and some of the info differed between the two.

Everything I have ever seen, be it from Ford or other publications of the day, have all said 1000. As an aside, that number DOES NOT include the 100 models made for the Canadian market. I think Marti accounted for between 1003 & 1007 US models from Ford records and 100 to 103 Canadians. I think I also remember reading about "Chicago Auto Show" models and a pre-production run of a few cars that were crushed once they had served their purpose.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 4:33PM
the letter from Ford says WILL produce ABOUT 1000.
The letter from the 1978 says the lower number WAS produced IN THE FACTORY.

That does not mean they didn't send some out to be made after the left the assembly line.

would be nice to know the FACTS.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 4:34PM
  I too have read about the actual final production/produced numbers being slightly over 1000 ......As I recall, the "extra"units over 1000 where not delivered to dealers/sold to the public....could have became property of ABC television vehicle motor pool/extra back ups for the show perhaps?... sold to private collectors with in the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury ranks? who knows....
The post production/ dealer prepped units where not counted as, nor have ever been considered to be one of the Limited Editions..as far as I know. I have yet to hear of a partial build Limited Edition sent to a dealer to be finished...unless it was loaded beyond imagination with options not found on Torinos...such as an electric antennea ( found on LTD and Thunderbird in 1976)..or perhaps the customer was willing to pay extra for aftermarket Aluminum slotted wheels. It's plausible that more than a few eligible candidates that where still on the lot late in the Summer of '76 where given the paint job and maybe the Magnum 500 wheels in an effort to get them sold to make room for the NEW '77 cars due out in the 4th quarter of the MY. Since the Torino line would not be returning for 1977 , I can imagine all kinds of wheeling and dealing those last few months of 1976

Edited by Zebra 3 - 01-June-2012 at 5:03PM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2012 at 3:10AM

For the car to get the DSO on the buck stamping/build sheet/data plate, it would have had to have been "converted" at the Chicago Assembly plant.

GOTTA LOVE A GOOD MYSTERY!! 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply