The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which roof light is best

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which roof light is best
    Posted: 31-May-2012 at 3:40PM
Can someone point me in the right direction of an accurate roof light for my car? Not sure exactly what I am searching for and want one close to the original.

Thanks
1975 Ford Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 2:31AM
Do you mean the interior dome light?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 2:50AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Do you mean the interior dome light?
No, should have been clearer, the red emergency light they would stick on the top. Did it stick with a strong mangent? Did it plug in a lighter slot? Can I still buy one?
1975 Ford Torino
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 5:13AM
SHO-ME makes those lights.  Google the "Sho-ME red light teardrop" and you'll get more results than you could ever want.Smile
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 5:37AM
Originally posted by starsky460 starsky460 wrote:

SHO-ME makes those lights.  Google the "Sho-ME red light teardrop" and you'll get more results than you could ever want.Smile

Thanks!
1975 Ford Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 5:54AM
Southern Products Magnetic Teardrop Revolving Red Light is the one I have for my car. I'll post a pic later this weekend.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 10:04AM
I have a Federal Signal Fireball. They come up on Ebay occasionally (some fireballs are round and not the teardrop shape, so make sure you see a pic). I bought a spare from Amazon which was described as having a stainless steel trim ring but was actually sent a cheap ass version which has a plastic base and looks absolute pants in my opinion. Mine was a dash light for inside the vehicle and did not have any magnets on it. I bought a rubberised magnet and and siliconed it to the base and then stuck a suede/felt material over the rubber to it wouldn't scratch the paint. The magnet has a good pull on it so there is no chence of the light sliding or coming off when your out chasin the bad guys !!

I will take some pics and post them to show what I mean.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 11:39AM
Get 'em while you can.....the company that I got mine from, Galls, has quit carrying the magnetic, tear drops.( I could not locate them in their on-line catalog anywhere)  I have a Federal Signal Fireball.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 11:56AM
Thanks for all the advice, I went ahead and ordered a Sho-ME red light teardrop.
1975 Ford Torino
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 11:58AM
Follow up question, what are the legalities of cruising around town with the light on the car. I obviously do not mean plugged in and spinning, but just magneted to the roof?
1975 Ford Torino
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 2:38PM
  I would advise against it....
  despite what is said they can and do blow off ( happen to me at highway speeds)
  too much of an invite for some punk to steal it
  the magnets do scratch the paint (for shows , put some wax paper on the magnets, helps protect the paint and it still allows the magnets to stick to the roof)
  the cops may not think it is too cool....it would invite trouble.  You would probably have to prove a legit reason for having a Red light on top of your vehicle...such as a Volunteer Fire Fighter or Funeral escourt.  Here in Shawnee Co. (Ks.) you have to have a permit just to have emergency lights (forward facing Red lights) mounted to your vehicle (such as a Vol. Fire Fighter) when/if the vehicle is in motion....exception being parades, car shows.(privately owned antique fire trucks,antique cop cars, antique tow trucks)  
 stowe it on the trans. hump like on the  t.v show when its not at a show or parade...thats what I plan on doing.

Edited by Zebra 3 - 01-June-2012 at 5:05PM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 3:43PM
Originally posted by Zebra 3 Zebra 3 wrote:

I would advise against it....
  despite what is said they can and do blow off ( happen to me at highway speeds)
  too much of an invite for some punk to steal it
  the magnets do scratch the paint (for shows , put some wax paper on the magnets, helps protect the paint and it still allows the magnets to stick to the roof)
  the cops may not think it is too cool....it would invite trouble.  You would probably have to prove a legit reason for having a Red light on top of your vehical...such as a Volunteer Fire Fighter or Funeral escourt.  Here in Shawnee Co. (Ks.) you have to have a permit just to have emergency lights (forward facing Red lights) mounted to your vehical (such as a Vol. Fire Fighter) when/if the vehical is in motion....exception being parades, car shows.(privately owned antique fire trucks,antique cop cars, antique tow trucks)  
 stowe it on the trans. hump like on the  t.v show when its not at a show or parade...thats what I plan on doing.

Good info, thanks.
1975 Ford Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2012 at 4:01PM
Yeah, I'm not too sure they would be very receptive of seeing the red light on a private vehicle. I know here where I live, occasionally you hear/read about people impersonating police officers and doing unsavory thing!

KEEP IT ON THE HUMP unless your are at a show or in a parade... Better safe than sorry!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 11:51AM
OK, here are a few pics of my roof light. It's from Southern Vehicle Products, Pinellas Park, FL 34664, Southern VP MODEL 1166, 12VDC SAE W3-78.

On the bottom is a large, 3 1/4" magnet, which I covered with a piece of black felt, and (3) 3/8" x 1 1/8" rectangular pivoting magnets that I covered with electrical tape (which is now starting to let go) to help protect the roof paint.

Here's a link to their dash & magnetic mount ligths and accessories;

They pop up now and then on eBay so you might want to do a search and save it with e-mail notifications when one comes up.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 04-June-2012 at 11:54AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 1:59PM
Thanks for the info TV.
1975 Ford Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply