The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 Timing cover replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 Timing cover replacement
    Posted: 03-June-2012 at 12:44PM
Hey guys. I'm needing to replace my timing cover on my 70 429 TJ. I did a search with no results?? Any advice on tackling this job would be appreciated. Thanks,David Big smile
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 1:25PM
Basically the whole front of the engine needs to come off(fan, water pump, alternator & brackets, PS pump and brackets, AC brackets and compressor(don't open the system just set the compressor to the side and tie it up out of the way, same for the PS system). Get a new aftermarket 429/460 timing cover unless you have a known good OEM cover. The old ones usually have corrosion or heavy pitting in the water passages. Make sure you get a timing cover that has the hole/tube for the oil dipstick. I would get an early model timing set (Cloyes 3122) to change the timing set while you are in there. Look very closely at the balancer spacer, if it is grooved, get a replacement or at least a repair sleeve. A new water pump is also a good idea while you are in there, especially if you have AC and all it's brackets. You will be(should be) changing the oil and filter after the timing cover change as well. Lay some rags over the oil pan opening to keep as much gasket material and any other crude out of the crankcase, you'll see what I mean once you open'er up. Good luck and it isn't that bad of a job, just a little time consuming. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2012 at 4:09PM
Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I expected. So the oil pan doesn't need to be removed?

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 12:29AM
No, you don't need to remove the oil pan, unless you drop a bolt or something else in there Ouch. Todd

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 2:47AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

No, you don't need to remove the oil pan, unless you drop a bolt or something else in there Ouch. Todd
Then you can fish around with a magnetic pickup tool! Wink
1972 Torino
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 6:52AM
Working on replacing the timing set. Does the woodruff key have to be removed for the crank gear to come off? 
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 8:49AM
  Got the new chain and gears on.LOL Couldn't get the old dipstick tube out! Angry Just bought one on eBay so I guess I'll finish up later this week. I'm guessing I should install the new dipstick tube before putting the cover back on? Opinions? 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 8:50AM
You need to remove the balancer key to remove the crankshaft timing gear. The 460 has two woodruff keys, #1) is for the timing gear/oil slinger/crank spacer #2) is for the harmonic balancer. Once you remove the balancer and it's key you should be able to slide the spacer-oil slinger-then the crank's timing gear off(along with the chain and cam gear) and not have to pull the timing gear key. Hope this helps, Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 10-June-2012 at 9:59AM

1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 12:40PM
Got ol' TJ back on the road yesterday. No leaks and the new chain and years made a nice difference. Thanks for all the input. 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 1:36PM
Good Deal,                                                                                             
 It's always nice to get a vehicle up and running once again, especially without having any problems, after turning a wrench or two.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 4:00PM
does the 70 429 TJ have the combination balancer/pulley or does it have a balancer with a pulley that bolts on to it?

My 69 429 TJ has the combo balancer and had to get the short nose water pump as someone musta changed it and put the late model long nose pump on and my belts didn't line up.
I got a rebuilt pump off a member here but yet to put it on as I bought the gaskets to do the timing cover as I wanted to clean and polish it cause the cover is aluminum and would look kewl polished.
I think now I'm just going to yank the engine and freshen it all up and do some performance mods and get a performance cam and change it to 4bbl as it's a 2v TJ but they have alot of potential and it will be a stout motor when it's done
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2012 at 5:08AM
Sounds like a plan. My TJ had a seperate balancer and pulley. Keep us posted on your progress!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2012 at 5:27AM
i'm considering changing to a balancer and separate pulley and put the long Nose pump back on so I can get all the modern  aluminum pulley's and if it get's the A/C I can use the Sanden aluminum compressor and not have a bunch of issues trying to retro fit it to the old style.
I'm not sure what has to be done, hopefully it's just a matte of removing what is there and getting a 
new balancer and the correct pulley's.
 March make's the Pulley's I want just have to figure out what brand balancer to buy
 Post Reply Post Reply