The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

manual tailgate window?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manual tailgate window?
    Posted: 14-June-2012 at 6:46PM
ok I got the 72 Gran Torino Wagon and it's a bone down low option model and it 
has the Manual rear tailgate window where it has the crank on the outside of the tailgate
how does it function?
the glass is busted out but I can't figure out how to make the handle flip open so it turns into a crank
not sure if something is stuck as i figure it has to lock so no one can walk up and just crank the window down but the tailgate is unlocked and I can open it in the sideway position,
haven't tried to flip it down in the tailgate position but wanted to see how the window crank worked and couldn't get it to do anything

any help would be apreciated

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 14-June-2012 at 6:48PM
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 2:11AM
Pull the cover off and then it functions as the handle. There should be a little cut-out IIRC.

Edited by GTW - 15-June-2012 at 2:26AM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:57AM
that's just it it won't flip open,thought I mentioned that.
can't figure it out why it won't budge.
I know how they work once it flips open but it seems to be stuck
don't want to break it as the car is probably not wired for an electric window even thought the gate i get will most likely be power I will cut the hole for the manual crank and use the regulator from this tailgate in the replacement gate,just need to get it all working
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 12:51PM
Grab ahold and yank on it after dousing it with PB or like spray. There is probably rust or gunk holding it, but no lock until the inside is exposed. It is just stuck.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 2:47PM
don't the window's lock somehow so somebody can't jut come along and crank your
window down and steal your stuff?
ah i'll have to get the PB Blaster out and spray it good then take my mini pry bar and pry it open so it turns into the crank handle.
busy with other projects didn't have time to  fool with the wagon today
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 2:55PM
I think the gate itself locks, but not the window.
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:13PM
Sorry Jeff, apparently back in the 70's security was NOT that big of a priority. GTW and Unloved are right, you may just have a handle that is stuck... grime, rust, combo of both.  I just bought a manual handle to install on my wagon just for show since my Dad's wagon had a manual handle. This wagon now has a power window, which works great! Both the key switch and dash switch.

If you can do me a favor and take a couple of photos of the tailgate itself if u take the handle off for any reason. I have the handle, but I wont install it until I know where to cut the holes to install it.

Again it will just be a dummy handle. LOL

Just trying to make it look like my Dad's the best I can. Thanks!

Edited by gpd294 - 15-June-2012 at 3:13PM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:13PM
well that aint no good as people can steal you sh*t and if so i'm changing over to power window with the replacement tailgate
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:41PM
I'm considering doing what gpd294 is doing, or I may make some sort of a removable pullout cover.
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 2:27AM
Carlo's I can make you a template and send it in the mail if you like cause there is no glass so removing the crank ad tracing the hole plus making the template so you get exact placement would be really easy then just roll it up and stick it in a shipping tube.
PM me your full name and address and i'll make one up soon as I get the handle unstuck I can remove it and make a template.i'm going to douche it with PB today and let it soak and try later to get it unstuck
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 5:26AM
PM sent
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 6:20AM
got your PM as soon as I can get the template made i'll ship it out to you.

see i'm not a jerk even though we had a run in,it was just a temporary flare of emotions and don't hold grudge's.I'm actually a good guy to know,as i'm willing to help anyone with their projects.It's in the past and this is a happier place when everyone gets along with each other.
We all have our moments of being somewhat of a jerk and i'm not above that and always apologize if I offend someone as it is never my intentions to do so.
Now I might have to find a wagon like yours but paint it to match the 72 wagon and call it 
"GuldenRod Too" don't know if they make mag wheels for little red wagon's but it would be kewl to find ones like torq thrust wheels 
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 6:32AM
All water underneath the bridge as far as I'm concerned...Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 3:48PM

DOH,Ermm oh I did a Homer
helps if you try to flip open the right endLOL
umm,it popped right open when I pulled on the end with the ball
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 1:56PM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Sorry Jeff, apparently back in the 70's security was NOT that big of a priority. GTW and Unloved are right, you may just have a handle that is stuck... grime, rust, combo of both.  I just bought a manual handle to install on my wagon just for show since my Dad's wagon had a manual handle. This wagon now has a power window, which works great! Both the key switch and dash switch.

If you can do me a favor and take a couple of photos of the tailgate itself if u take the handle off for any reason. I have the handle, but I wont install it until I know where to cut the holes to install it.

Again it will just be a dummy handle. LOL

Just trying to make it look like my Dad's the best I can. Thanks!

I got a sneakin' suspicion that I won't be getting any templates anytime soon. Dead  Anyone else that has a manual tailgate willing to help if they take theirs apart? Confused

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 2:39PM
I think I'm the only one with a manual gate now, but I don't know what kind bmf has. I am going to have to take the inside cover off and lubricate it. I'll see if I can take some pics.

Edited by GTW - 11-July-2012 at 2:40PM
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 2:45PM
Ok thanks GTW!

Post Reply Post Reply