The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some changes to my base Torino, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some changes to my base Torino, need advice
    Posted: 15-June-2012 at 4:32PM
I have 3 cosmetic changes I want to make as I begin to transform my Torino to a Gran Torino clone. I don't really know how to describe them, so I will try, but then see photo:

1. I do not have these 2 bumper guards on mine, is this something I can buy and add, or does it require a different bumper? Where would I get them, and how easily would they attach?

2. There is not spot on my bumper to mount my plate, how do I modify the bumper to accept a plate?

3. My car has only "Torino" on the side, can I add a "Gran" in front of it, or do I need to remove the "Torino" and add a complete "Gran Torino" logo? Is this hard to do? Where would I find it?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid.

1975 Ford Torino
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 5:03PM
Might think of keeping it a "Base Torino" Almost all were gran's. probably a rare find.

The front plate bracket bolts on the bottom of the bumper and comes up to hold the plate.Kind of a "L" bracket thing. Your bumper should have the holes underneath for it.

The bumper pads are add ons. They have a hole in the bumper for its bolt with a nut behind them.

Gran and Torino are two pieces you could add just the Gran.
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 5:19PM
The Gran script can not be added in front of the Torino script without drilling some new holes and filling old ones because they have different distances between the mounting pins. You could drill new holes your bumper for the bumper gaurds the top holes are round but the bottom holes are oblong. The plate frame mounts on the bottom of the bumper-you may already have these on your bumper.You can check evilbay for the Gran Torino scripts,bumper gaurds and licence plate frame or maybe a member here has these parts. I could take pictures tomorrow if you need them. Just let me know.

P.S. I have two nice fenders with correct holes and the Gran Torino scrpts if you want to trade.LOLLOLLOL
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
Z0014nd3l2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z0014nd3l2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2012 at 4:48AM
'74 Ford Gran Torino Sport w/ 351 Windsor (Starsky & Hutch Clone)
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2012 at 5:28PM
Thanks guys. I went to the DMV to have the theft and fraud division do their check before I get my title, and every officer in the DMV came out an had me take a picture of them in front of the car. They even had me put the light on. I was speechless.
1975 Ford Torino
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2012 at 1:17AM
Way cool!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Srandaz2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srandaz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 4:24PM
MSG - let me start by saying Rob is correct the base Torino is rare to find, I know because I own one that I transformed into a S&H Gran Torino. Unfortunatley I didn't realize there were only a handful of base Torinos with my options before I started the transformation, so something to think about. On the flip side you have to love what you drive and this is what I wanted.

Now to your questions, first all Torinos bad or Gran were all built on the same platform - the options on the cars is what made the name plates change. The bumper guards will bolt to your exsisting bumper with a modification of drilling two holes, you must take off your front bumper to do this -once its off look on the back side and you will see the anchor bolt holes all ready in place, you just have to drill the holes to match, be careful doing this especially when there is no going back to fixing a hole in your bumper if you miss. The hard part of this whole venture is finding the bumper guards, I paid a hefty amount of $$$$$ for mine but they look great.

Second zebra3 is correct you can put the Gran Torino name plate on the vehicle however you have too drill holes for the "gran" part. the Torino word will fit in the exsisting holes. Note the Gran Torino emblem is smaller than the "Torino" emblem. And another tip - instead of having to buy the screw caps to hold the emblems on you can save a lot of money and time and use the plastic drywall anchors you get at home depot - get the quarter inch size these work 100times better than the screws and they push right on and secure firmly.

Also if you elect to get sport mirrors again the holes for the passenger door are already placed in the inner door you just have to be careful drilling the outside to match up and be sure you purchase the correct mirrors before you drill.

If you need anything else or have a question don't hesitate to ask - I been down this retrofit road and know exactly what you need to do - I will try to post some pics of my car so you can see
Steve
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 3:19AM
Thanks for the great info Steve.
1975 Ford Torino
Kit Sullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kit Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2012 at 1:09AM
Are the mounting holes on top of the doors the same for the painted sport mirrors as well as the deluxe dual chrome mirrors?
"I'm too old to grow up now!"
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 10:52AM
from what I remember "yes they are " the bolts for the sport mirors fit the holes for the chrome mirrors. The actual base plates are different sizes though. I changed my sport mirrors to chrome and had to get the top part of the door above the white stripe re-painted as the chrome mounting is smaller than the sport mounting. I also needed to door some very minor body work with some bondo just to smooth out some low spots but thats just me. If your going from chrome to sport you should be ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply