The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weiand Stealth Height...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weiand Stealth Height...
    Posted: 19-June-2012 at 2:05AM
Hey guys, the current intake on my 472 that is going to be installed in my Torino is a Weiand Stealth. I have been told that the Stealth will not fit under the stock hood of a 72 Torino.

Can anyone else let me know from personal experience whether this is true or not? How much shorter in a non-RPM Performer intake? Does anyone have any pictures of their intake-hood clearances with either intake?
1972 Torino
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2012 at 11:50AM
Had a 8021(CJ) on my 72. 
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2012 at 1:22PM
It will fit on a 72 with sport hood
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2012 at 1:59PM
I have a performer RPM on mine. It would've cleared with just the hood braces cut out, but I wanted the scoop for cooling purposes so I cut the hole. This is with a Spectre 3 1/2 inch high? Air cleaner.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
superroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2013 at 8:28PM

hi, the 460 i'm putting in to my 72 came with a weiand stealth.  i've been praying for hood clearance for a while now... Ermm

today bolted up the front panels (had the whole front off while i was fabbing headers) so i can fit hood and check clearance.

one important thing to note is: i had to add ~5/16" or ~7-8mm of shimming to the front panel-to-chassis mount to get the panel gap to the door right for one reason or another... Unhappy total is about 1 1/2" now.

but, i have clearance! just!

it's a standard (not sport) hood, weiand stealth intake, crites mounts (which are about 1/2" higher apparently - but i need the space for the headers)

From the manifold face to the hood:
145mm at front carb stud
138mm at front edge of hood brace, which is about 10mm behind the air cleaner stud
150mm at rear carb stud IF you cut out the hood brace, which i haven't done
Note: as above i had to add extra shimming, probably amounts to 3-4mm extra clearance at the carb, i guess - with these old cars there's no guaranteeing how close these measurements would be for another car anyway.

using the holley 80770-1 vacsec carb, which measured 145mm air cleaner stud to base, and the drop base cleaner that were on the torino's 400 when i bought it, there's ~1mm of clearance from the slightly raised center section of the air cleaner lid to the front edge of the hood brace about 4" out from the stud.

the drop base combined with the choke housing is very restrictive, and too close to the vent tubes - if you had to keep the stock hood i'm sure a smaller manifold with a better cleaner would be a better choice.  but it's going to get me back on the road.  i'm still looking for a sports hood for the extra clearance so i can put a decent air cleaner on it, no luck so far tho - anyone? Smile

help this info helps someone

Carl
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 3:02AM
Great write up! I wish I had this information before i decided to make a decision on my intake, but with that being said I am grateful that I chose a Performer intake because I was still able to use a 1" phenolic spacer to keep the carb a bit cooler. It would have been good to get the car on the road faster though rather than waiting to get the Performer manifold.
1972 Torino
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 3:48AM
Originally posted by 72BoB 72BoB wrote:

Great write up! I wish I had this information before i decided to make a decision on my intake, but with that being said I am grateful that I chose a Performer intake because I was still able to use a 1" phenolic spacer to keep the carb a bit cooler.

Thumbs Up X2 on the Performer/phenolic spacer, I still needed to cut the hood. Using a 14" x 4" filter required it, at least now my hood scoop is actually functional Wink.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
superroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 2:26PM
cool, sounds like the right choice

what car/yr is that in, aquartlow?
Carl
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 2:42PM
Originally posted by superroo superroo wrote:

cool, sounds like the right choice

what car/yr is that in, aquartlow?

My '79 Ranchero:

Superroo, what oil pan are you running? Kinda looks like a Canton pan. I'm looking to install a larger capacity front sump pan.

superroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 3:40PM
is that a boss scoop?  looks good! no where near as tall as the one i saw here: 

i think it's a High Energy sump.  might be an aussie brand? they're the go to over here, on a lot of cars.

Edited by superroo - 31-August-2013 at 3:41PM
Carl
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2013 at 11:14PM
Originally posted by superroo superroo wrote:

is that a boss scoop?  looks good! no where near as tall as the one i saw here: 

i think it's a High Energy sump.  might be an aussie brand? they're the go to over here, on a lot of cars.

Carl,
 The scoop I used is from a '69 Cougar Eliminator. Here is a little better pic of it.

Thank you for the info on the oil pan as well as the positive comment. I have seen a few pics of the progress on your Torino, nice fab work, especially the headers. Todd

superroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2013 at 11:16PM

ah, cool.  that style might be the go if i can't get a whole hood, suits car and easier to fit.

cheers :) getting there
Carl
 Post Reply Post Reply