The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New bie with Some Questions About Wheel Sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseyShelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New bie with Some Questions About Wheel Sizes
    Posted: 29-June-2012 at 10:08PM
Forgive me for what may be some simple questions.

I've just bought a 1969 Ford Torino Cobra Jet. It is a 2 door hardtop. I wanted to know the stock size wheels, backspacing and bolt pattern and also would like to know what size wheels and backspacing can be used to help put on some aftermarket wheels. I'm doing this to participate in some classic sprints (closed road version of drag racing for cars registered up to 1975) so would like to run some rear sticky tires.

I think 15x8 or 15x10 is where I want to go, any one have any ideas about which works best and which tires would fit. Also is the back space 4.5 or 5 inches. Finally what is the bolt pattern.

As I'm based in the UK, these cars are very rare and little known about them. I'm looking forward to learning more hopefully with your help.

Thanks in advance

Alex
1964 1/2 Mustang 260 Coupe
1965 Mustang 298 Coupe
1969 Ford Torino 428 Cobra Jet 2 Door Hard Top
1993 Mustang 5.0 GT
2003 Expedition 5.4 Eddie Bauer
2009 Shelby Mustang GT500KR
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2012 at 7:25AM
not that your not welcome here but there is another forum that supports the early
majority of the members here own 72-79 full frame FoMoCo carsand the unibody Torino's don't have the same offset and back spacing as the later Gran Torino model's and you will probably get faster results asking over at the other forum as they are dedicated to the early 68-71 cars only.

we have the section here but not that many owners frequent this site as much as they do over there
so it might be awhile before you get the answers you need as they 2 types are totally different and they sizes will vary on hat fits a full frame vs the unibody Torino's as the suspensions are totally different as well as the area of the wheel housing
JerseyShelby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseyShelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2012 at 11:34PM
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Alex
1964 1/2 Mustang 260 Coupe
1965 Mustang 298 Coupe
1969 Ford Torino 428 Cobra Jet 2 Door Hard Top
1993 Mustang 5.0 GT
2003 Expedition 5.4 Eddie Bauer
2009 Shelby Mustang GT500KR
TDLMOMOWERS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDLMOMOWERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2012 at 12:49PM
My 69 Torino GT has 14 x 6 Styled Steel Wheels. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4,1/2". This is the stock size from the factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply