The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

472 Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 472 Build
    Posted: 03-July-2012 at 2:42AM
Ok, I know some of you have commented on the makeup of my 472 that I have had for a while, but couldn't find out exactly what I was going for... But here is the jist of it as of now. Premium gas street engine that will see a lot of highway use @~70-80mph, and the occasional romp around town, with all power accessories.
If anyone has any issues with the parts then let me know.

460 block bored .060 to 472cu.in.
Stock Ford crank
Reconditioned C9 rods w/ ARP hardware
Speed Pro ZL2404F60 forged pistons (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-L2404F60/)
Lunati 61601 cam (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-61601/) (or similar custom grind cam)
Mildly ported C9 heads w/ stock valves sizes
Edelbrock Performer intake
Holley 750 vac. secondary
C6 trans
2200 stall
3.0 rear gear

This list can be changed now as the engine is apart getting a sleeve in cylinder #1.

1972 Torino
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2012 at 5:32AM
Well I probably put at least 80% of my miles on the highway, so I would like to keep it a highway gear.
And I wouldn't exactly call this a performance build... but I do realize that the rods are a weak point. However, stock cranks can hold quite a bit of power. I might consider going H-beams, but for now the stock rods will work fine.
1972 Torino
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2012 at 5:32AM
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

This lists some common builds and the horsepower ranges you can expect for various parts.

Of note, stock cranks are used up to about 700HP and stock rods are used up to about 450HP.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2012 at 7:20AM
Yeah, I'm on 460ford as well, and you'll be able to see that I have it posted as well.

I was just making sure that no one would have a specific opinion about an individual part, such as pistons...
1972 Torino
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2012 at 1:50AM
You don't need H beams but might want to upgrade to I beams.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2012 at 5:00AM
Truck/van connecting rods, are an inexpensive upgrade to the broached passenger car rods. The truck/van rods have a better rod design in the bolt area as well as stronger/better designed bolts, commonly referred to as "football" rods/bolts because of this. Unless you are turning it over 6500 rpm consistantly the "football" rods should suit your needs for under $100. However the aftermarket rods discussed here are better for ultimate power and longevity. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2012 at 10:38AM
cam looks like it should work well with a 3.00 gear, watch that 750 vac sec carb some are generic dogs while others work much better. internal metering calibrations make a world of difference, with that cam i doubt you'll need down leg boosters or anular discharge but the cheapest 750 carb you can find is just that(talking Holleys here). are you opposed to an Edelbrock carb? much easier to make adjustments w/o removing it from the engine, no fuel spilled... or the new Summit carb? it's a rehash of the old Holley 4010/11 that also doesn't spill fuel to change jets

are you sure you'll need a stall converter? even a 2200 may be enough to cause issues on the highway with a 3.00

and with those pistons it may run good on goatpiss regular too?

what is the cc volume of the chambers in those heads? 
72 GT Ute

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2012 at 1:42AM
The Holley I have is good and has been gone through by a good friend of mine before. I'm taking the car to another friend up in Atlanta once it is running and having the carb calibrated and tuned.

The cam suggests a 2400 stall, and I shouldn't have problems with the 3.0 because I should be spinning around 2600-2800 @ 70mph.

I am still looking into swapping in a posi and 3.5 gears, but I want to see how this runs first.
1972 Torino
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2012 at 7:28AM
Ok, I have learned a lot in the past couple months regarding engines, and I have finally figured out what I really want.

I am going to get out of the first-time-builder mentality of all out power without thinking about driveability and focus primarily on low end torque.

So, I'm going to change out the cam for something smaller, and bite the bullet and purchase the smaller Hooker headers.
1972 Torino
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2012 at 7:44AM
i don't see that you're in the 'all out power build' mode?

that cam isn't what i'd call big at all, i don't even see it needing a converter unless it's using the faster XE type lobes? (just looked again, it is. high lift / short duration radical fast lobes) 

i'll tell ya what cam i'd be looking at in that range, works with your gear, stock converter, makes mongo low/mid range torque... Comp 268H. or the 255DEH / 265DEH

high energy series

dual energy series

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-July-2012 at 7:46AM
72 GT Ute

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2012 at 8:43AM
Originally posted by 72BoB 72BoB wrote:

The Holley I have is good and has been gone through by a good friend of mine before. I'm taking the car to another friend up in Atlanta once it is running and having the carb calibrated and tuned.

The cam suggests a 2400 stall, and I shouldn't have problems with the 3.0 because I should be spinning around 2600-2800 @ 70mph.

I am still looking into swapping in a posi and 3.5 gears, but I want to see how this runs first.

Now, this could be because of the smaller tires up front, but I'm running about 2200 RPMs at about 75 MPH on a 3.00 rear. I suppose I should include measurements, eh? Tee-hee.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply