The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with air shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with air shocks
    Posted: 30-July-2012 at 1:28AM
Hi guys, I have air shocks on my 74 GTS S&H replica and was wondering how much air can you put in them? I was toying with the idea of changing the rake on my car. I have taken a few pics, but couldn't find anything on them that says "max psi" although I only had a quick look. I could make out MAX AIR and P224Y. I Googled it and it came back with some results for Monroe MAX AIR, but nothing with P244Y. They may or may not be Monroe shocks, thats just what the search results seemed to favour.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2012 at 1:39AM
I have very similar shocks on one of mine and ran 90 psi for a decent rake.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2012 at 9:22PM
Thank you for that. How do you know what the Max psi is? I don't want to overfill and damage them. Should it say somewhere on the actual shock itself?It was a previous owner who installed them so I have info about them.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2012 at 2:52AM
The ones on my car were rated at a maximum of 120 psi, but I was hesitant to ever get that close. Mine were actually bought at Kmart, and last night I aired them up to see if they would still hold pressure. They DID! Amazing..
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2012 at 8:12AM
Dude, the stated pressure is going to be different when you hit bumps and stuff, weight in the car, etc. Pushing the envelope on air shocks IMO is not a great idea. I saw one explode once and it ain't pretty. Your handling will be worse the higher you make it as well. Spend the extra money, put in lowered (and inch and a half on mine looks really good), springs on the front and you'll get a great rake and sweet handling, I'll bet a lot safer, too.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 7:45PM
Thanks guys, will check what I have in them now. Won't go too high but its good to have an idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply