The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiff gas pedal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff gas pedal?
    Posted: 28-August-2012 at 8:50PM
Rebuilt an Edelbrock 800. Swapped this for the 600 that was on the car. Put everything back together right. Rod and such. Now the gas pedal is stiff. Like, wtf stiff. Pulled the return spring, throttle cable/rod, etc. Move throttle lever by hand, and it's fine. Am I just over thinking things because I've never done this before? But the pedal doesn't feel like it did with the old carb. Suggestions? Thanks.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2012 at 1:18PM
As long as the linkage is not binding I would say drive it for a while and see if you can live with it. I have a carter AFB on my 460 (74 ranchero) and the pedal is quite stiff as well. Much stiffer that the Holley 600 CFM I have on my other 460 (79 ranchero).
JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2012 at 2:30PM
Check to make sure the cable isnt attached on the carb linkage too close to the pivot point. Also check the carburator return spring. Just seems like there is stress on the cable and if youre not careful it could snap on you.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2012 at 7:02PM
I've everything twice.. Drove it a bit tonight, and it seemed fine. Aside from running out of gas. :doh:
I now know, not to let the tank get any less than 1/8 on the gauge.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
 Post Reply Post Reply