The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 build advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 build advice
    Posted: 03-September-2012 at 9:05PM
OK.I took my 351M to the max stroker build of a 434M. Pistons are the only ones out 8.6 to 1 shaved heads for 8.8 to 1. Winter is here so Building up a 460 for it money is no matter. At one time I had a 429 CJ in a jet boat built into a 523 spendy but it held 6000 rpm all day long. Was on ESPN a few times racing boats ( Mostly with my Cobra jet built 403 olds ) But a few runs with the Baja 22 footer ford powered.

Anyway going balls to the wall and any advice you have I would love to hear. I Found a D0 block running already so give me some ideas on what works. Thanks friends

PS No boats I am a recovering jet boat addict. Had 9 jet boats at the same time 12 years ago.

1 Cougar and 1 ranchero is enough now.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 9:33PM
Getting excited about this big block build so far parts are  less than the 434M build.  I do not have 500 miles on the 434 but it just is not enough. Cam and stall is really my interest from members and what you have and think. I stall the 434 at 2800 but the tach shows 3200 before she grabs. I let the sweetie drive it last week and after she did 4 posi traklok chips she me me to drive. On the 5th try I had her keep it in 1st rev slow and hang on 3200 we moved forward had her hold it 5800 shifted to second then we were home. I really do not think she will ever drive it again but the smile on her face was priceless......
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 9:49PM
Just a sig test trying to shrink the picture to fit
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 8:07AM
Great looking car! Looks like Psquare's. He can tell you more than I can, and with your experience with boats, you're probably most of the way there already. What I would have done differently on my 466 would have been I or H beams, and pistons. My set up is for higher RPMs, so I kind of shot myself in the foot. Too late now. I'm sure it will be fine for the occasional burn out and short drag race around town. I have slight other problems that will be addressed such as fuel delivery, fuel slosh, etc. You will need to upgrade your fuel pump, and depending on how much high speed antics you delve into, maybe a fuel cell. I chose cast iron DOVE heads for their durability; big 2.25 intake and 1.75 exhaust. Comp roller rockers. Jetted and built Holley 750 dual feed, Performer RPM, Mallory 'Ready to Run' dist, MSD Blaster coil. I made a not-so-great cam choice, according to the engine tuners/dyno. I went with a Comp 'Thumpr', with .507 intake and .493 exhaust, which I understand now is kind of backwards... Sounds freakin' awesome but I think your power needs will be better met with Comp's Extreme Energy series or equivalent. I also went with a Cloyes dual roller timing set. Again... My weakest link is pistons and connecting rods. I went for the 'sweet spot', between low and high end power, for my needs, but you may want to think about what your goals are; high RPMs or low end torque.... Of course a big block has great torque to begin with. I will be getting headers soon, and of course gearing. I think then I will be able to do a fair rating of my results.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 7:36PM
Thank you papadeath.
Running engine right now 460 D1VE. Not sure if that is the one I am building yet I work all the time and will read up more but I thank you for you build info.
Do you run a stall on yours?
Thanks, Robb
 Post Reply Post Reply