The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body removel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body removel
    Posted: 06-September-2012 at 2:18AM
Has anyone tried to seperate the body from the frame and leave the front clip inplace and reattach with a different or same body. If not I guess I let all know how it turns out. All I have to do now is lift the body off. This is a 73 sport roof.
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 3:36AM
Leaving the front clip in place when removing the body probably would not be a good idea. Too much stress with out the core support and too much pull on the clip with it in place. Just my bad luck $0.02 worth.

Maybe someone out there has done this?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 9:54AM
Probably not too bad IF you are talking about propping the body IN THE AIR then lowering the frame out from under it.

IF you mean RAISING the body UP/OFF the frame as a whole... NOT a good idea without some major bracing that would take longer than just pulling the front clip anyway.

I see this as a possibility IF you raised the car(on a lift with the frame) suspended or supported the body all around to include the front clip, then lowered the frame out from under the body with the lift.

GOOD LUCK!
Looking forward to pics 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 11:05AM
For as easy as the hood and fenders come off and go on, I'm not seeing an advantage to this.  Without the body, the fenders have nothing to attach to but the front fascia, so they'll  sag and pull the rest of the front clip with it. 

I'm not seeing an advantage to this.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 3:02PM
I was wanting to remove the body away from the fenders that will be bolted to the fender well's and left with the frame. I thought that unbolt from the fire wall that would support itself. I am just getting to lazy to unbolt(wanting to save time) but I think it will best just unbolt the fender's. I got thinking the fender's have to be painted anyway. This is not a frame up build, just a driver. Thanks for the eye opener guy's.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2012 at 9:07PM
OOOOHHHH!

I completely misread what your intentions were!
You want to leave the front clip on the frame but remove the actual BODY from the frame and fenders...
NOT worth it.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 1:10AM
Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that supports the fenders are the front radiator support structure and fascia (whatever that part with the headlights is called, lol) and the firewall.  At the back, the fender support and wheel wells bolt to the body, not the frame. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 3:29AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

OOOOHHHH!

I completely misread what your intentions were!
You want to leave the front clip on the frame but remove the actual BODY from the frame and fenders...
NOT worth it.

Yep, that was the plan but. Figured have a better alinement by shifting the body than each fender to the body and then you have the hood to deal with. As I said was hoping to save some time before I am back on the road. I am not afraid to do the work. But I am going to pull the fenders. After the fenders have the body bolts gas tank left to do and off it comes. Thanks for the input guy's

Edited by srwith - 07-September-2012 at 3:30AM
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 7:41AM
If you can get some helpers you can probably pull the front clip all in one piece (I think). That would save time lining the separate parts back up.
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2012 at 1:11PM
It was best to remove the fenders which I have done. I can see alot of cleanup under the fender and the fender wells. With all that being done looks like I will do work on the frame to spruce it up. I will post pictures in my progress section soon. I do believe that if you support the fender's it can be done. It is something you would not want to leave that way for a long period of time 
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2012 at 11:23PM
Went from this

to this

Post Reply Post Reply