The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2v vs 4v 351 cleveland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2v vs 4v 351 cleveland
    Posted: 25-October-2012 at 4:48AM
What is better 2v or 4v.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 1:24PM
depends upon what you're doing with it. it's true that 2V's flow better at low valve lifts than the 4V's, but with a well chosen camshaft the 4V's will do everything the 2V's can & then some

then again, a well chosen 2V build combo can walk all over a poorly chosen 4V combo. it's easy to dog out a 4V with a cam not suited for the combo

... then there's 3V
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 3:13PM
If you're on a budget and already have the 2V heads go with it. The 2.05 intake valves are still bigger than the 2.02 valves offered in GM's small black hotrods and the heads will flow plenty for a street car.
I'd ditch the stock valve train though. The factory 2V rocker arms are weak and the valve heads are prone to becoming shrapnel. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 3:27PM
yes the stock Ford valves need to go into the garbage can and replaced with 1 piece stainless

the factory 2V rocker pedestals are aluminum, 4V were steel. if buying new replacements you want to make sure you're getting steel fulcrums
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 4:09PM
also, 2V castings with a casting code starting with D5xx(1975) will not perform like earlier 2V castings. the D5 heads have a redesigned water jacket that chokes the exhaust port, the head can't breathe. D5 heads will probably have different valve spring hardware that severely limits how much cam lift they can handle, even the smallest aftermarket cams are too big unless you change the retainers(along with the garbage stock valves)
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 1:32AM
Interesting. I have that stuck 351 2V engine in the yellow '72. I was thinking of just scrapping it for the weight, but perhaps I should hold onto that engine for a future build? Maybe the cam choice is one of the issues with my 4 speed car just not feeling as it should.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 3:59AM
Hal no don't Cry scrap a Cleveland block if it ain't busted!

Q-code = 351C & baby C6 Wink or toploader

what cam is in it, do you know? what about the rest of the combo, intake/carb, exhaust, rear gear
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 4:08AM
Unsure of the cam, 3.25 rear gear, 4 speed, Edelbrock dual plane intake, Demon carb, stock exhaust manifolds, 2.5 inch pipes, Flowmasters.

The 2V engine is 118K stock and stuck. Probably running an FMX and has 3.00 gears. That car will get a 5.0 or 5.8/5 speed combo to just play with.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
colonelsandersman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 3:32PM
There's a great episode of Horsepower on powerblock tv where they build up both 351w and 351c. They then dyno the Cleveland with 4v then with 2v heads. They show the chart and explain the difference between the two. Really top notch show.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 6:58PM
well, it was better than not having a show including the 351C but it was a little disappointing

actually they built a stroked Clevor and a 351C 2V/4V, with the 351W factory heads it could not have even competed with the 351C-2V, and i don't know what they did to tank the 351C-4V but they did it. for the 4V heads not to take off like a rocket from where they begin to surpass the 2V heads on the graph... something was going on. i'm sorry if i go all conspiracy theory here but all i can think of is that they started killing cylinders on the dyno? there's nobody paying advertising dollars to show that the factory heads still kick S after all these years, but there is $ for stroker parts, alloy heads & clevor intake manifolds

can you call a 351C with small 2V intake ports a 4V? maybe in Aus but not on my street. being a single plane intake was probably also a stumbling block, if the build wasn't 'enough' to allow a 4V Cleveland to crank out, it should not have had a single plane intake on it. it was a piss-poor combo & who ever picked the C parts or allowed them to be used should be Dead fired... but as i said i suspect maybe a little more was goin on, it shoulda ran better than it did, even with the small intake ports &  'chevy' cam

here's a build! and it was still climbing HP when they cut the throttle

Edited by Rockatansky - 26-October-2012 at 7:05PM
72 GT Ute

1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2012 at 8:52PM
   I would go with the 2V heads. Back in the day (mid  70s ) I had one in my 70 mustang that I bought so I'm not sure what the guy had in it. Holly 2V ,aluminum dual plane manifold,polished intake & exhaust W
3 angle valve job, cam & valve train ? dual point dist, accell ignition, headers, 4 sp & 4-11 rear gears. Couldn't keep rear tires on it. Kick many camaro, cudas & challengers asses. Too many drag racing tickets so I sold that engine and went to 351w that wasn't quit so mean. DAMN!!!
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply