The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thinking about Edlebrock Top End Pkg, - Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking about Edlebrock Top End Pkg, - Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about Edlebrock Top End Pkg, - Questions
    Posted: 28-December-2012 at 3:56AM
Hi,
I have been looking at various options for an engine rebuild.  Gonna pull the 351W and have it dipped and machined. They usually go .030 over, replace cam bearings, Magnaflux the block, crank and rods for cracks. The current low compression 2bbs runs fine, no smoke, so I don't expect anything unusual.

I'm looking at various options and am leaning toward the Edelbrock top end kits for various reasons - good out of the box performance, all parts compatibility, no guess work for component compatibility, etc. 

I'm looking at kit 2092 -  http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/power_package/tek_ford.shtml

All I need except pistons and rings for the rebuild.  Price is good for what you get.

I have a couple questions tho...

This comes with an Air Gap intake which is taller than stock or the performer.  Has anyone used this and will it fit under the hood of a 73?  Edelbrock makes it sound like its a lot taller than stock. so I don't want to go making holes in hoods, lol.

The big question though is in looking at the HP and Torque spec's.  While the numbers look good (400HP, 412 lbs torque) they all look pretty far up the RPM range for me.  I'm looking for using this on the street, not the strip or a daily driver. It looks like you have to spend a lot of time north of 4K to make decent power. 

I know I can pick parts ala cart and probably get the power in the band I would prefer, but the All in One package is pretty tempting.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2012 at 4:59AM
Looks like some really good lower rpm torque which is more of your drivable power, I am thinking the high rpm rating before dropoff is because of the matched heads cam valve springs etc. giving you more rpm before valve float.

Edelbrock is usually pretty good if you call them and ask questions, They want you to be happy with your choice and what you want it to do.

2 things I would check on are I always thought air gap intakes were more for higher rpm ( But the torque specs on this package look good ), and second I would ask about stall rpm if you run a automatic, might need more stall than a stock torque convertor. While at it I would check on compression ratio higher is more power but at a point requires higher octane fuel as well. Sure this kit is setup for more than stock compression.

Cheers! Friday is here!!

Edited by Robbdtme - 28-December-2012 at 5:00AM
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2012 at 5:04AM
Oh for intake height  the old setup has the egr plate which added a inch then a 3 inch aircleaner and about another 1 1/2 inch before hood so you have a few extra inches to play with then can gain some more if needed with a lower profile or say a 2 1/2 or 2 inch aircleaner so I would thing thing would fit but again a question to call the on.

I am assuming MI does not have emissions checks so the egr gets lost!!

Edited by Robbdtme - 28-December-2012 at 5:05AM
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2012 at 7:45PM

the summit listing for the cam shows 1500-6500 range, kinda wide, not sure i believe it?

a 224*/234* @.050" cam is barely in the stock converter range, but the 290*/300* figures put it solidly into stall converter territory

ok, did the math 71* overlap is too much for a street cam IMO. your comment about spending time upwards of 4K to make power is right with this cam, the 71* overlap will make it a dog at low rpm unless you have a decent converter & rear gear to get things crankin

what about emissions where you are? 
72 GT Ute

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2012 at 7:58AM
Thinking that is a set up for higher RPM POWER.
Will "WORK" for lower RPM but NOT optimally.

peak power at 6k is at the top of the valve train capability too.
You have to do alot of precision work to get the 351 running smoothe at that rpm.

In our big cars I would be more inclined to pay attention to the torque/HP at lower RPM.
Get one that runs decent at 1200-2500 and peaks at around 4000-4500 for the long shifts at the strip or from the light. You'll also keep the heat down in the tranny and keep solid power/not slipping driving around, by not having to run a high stall.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2012 at 1:39PM
thanks for the feedback.  The torque isnt bad in lower rpm, but with the max hp so high, i think I may look for a bit different cam profile.  I think I might call Summit as suggested before I pull the trigger.  car is in storage so no work until spring anyway.  

For emissions, no tests here in Mi. And when we had testing, cars older than 10 years were exempt.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2012 at 2:33PM
Good plan. In my opinion, especially in a large heavy vehicle, torque is your friend. 400 HP isn't of much use on the street if it's at 6500 RPM's. High torque at low RPM's is the way to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply