The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time Machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Machine
    Posted: 06-February-2013 at 10:57PM
Hello! New to this forum. Great resource! Here's my story:
Back in 1974, one of my favorite TV shows was called "Kolchak, The Night Stalker". Made for TV action/horror show. To my dismay, it was cancelled after it's first season. I was pretty bummed out until I saw this new show about two cool detectives with a hot car! Starsky and Hutch! I loved it! Never missed an episode. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska. One summer day in 1976, my dad took my sister, my brother and I to a park to play. In doing so, it took us right past the local Ford dealer (Stepp Brothers Friendly Ford). Being a car nut, I always would peer into the showroom to check out the new cars as we drove by. On this particular day, before I could see clearly into the showroom, I saw a red flashing light. I instantly knew it was on top of a red and white striped Torino! All us kids begged our dad to pull in. To our surprise, he did. We literally ran inside and gawked at the car. We asked if we could sit in it. Amazingly, my brother had brought his Vivitar camera and a Polaroid camera. Flash! With one stroke of his finger, he forever burned into my brain that moment while recording it on that piece of film. Naturally, I dreamed of owning such a car, being a car nut that I was. Well, it only took me 37 years to fulfill that dream. I found a California Gran Torino with 70,062 miles on it. I did all the work myself and converted it into my own Starsky Torino. More to the story but here's a couple of pics:First on is from 1976, second one was last week

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 5:33AM
Great story, cools pics and I can't wait to see more of your S&H Torino!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 6:04AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Great story, cools pics and I can't wait to see more of your S&H Torino!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

x2...  welcome
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 7:43AM
Welcome to the forum.

We have seen that top pic here on the forum in the past.
Someone in the family already a member?
New to the board or been here before but back under a new name maybe?

Either way... WELCOME!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 8:28AM
You might have seen the pic on another web site. I had a real hard time figuring out my computer in order to post the pics. Windows 7 cut and paste quit working....You can see me in the drivers seat and my sister in the passenger seat.  Once the snow melts, I'm going to bring my Torino down to the dealership ( it's a BMW dealership now) along with my pictures and story and ask if, when ever they move their cars to clean the floors/carpet, if I can scoot my car in there and sit it and my self in the same spot and get my picture taken..... not sure if they're gonna let me but I think it's worth a try...

Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 9:30AM
Welcome! Nice car. I remember Night Stalker too...starred Darren McGavin, the actor best known for playing the Dad in the "A Christmas Story" movie.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 10:33AM
Hello everyone, thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I replaced the original 351M with a 400. I have a 460 in waiting but I'll see how the 400 does first. The car was originally dark brown. Tan interior is getting changed out to black this weekend. Will post some pic's of that. I used a base coat/clear coat paint. Sanded and buffed the paing with 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper.  Will post additional photos as time allows...
Aktorino

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 10:59PM
NICE.... look forward to seeing more!
Yeah, it can be a chore uploading pics and getting them to look right. I fight with my posts everytime I update my thread. Keep at it, you finally get it!!! LOL

Edited by TV 2M8O - 07-February-2013 at 11:01PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2013 at 7:53AM
Joe,
I really like the rake your car has. What size tire/wheel do you have on the back? Air shocks? Different springs? That is what my car is lacking right now is the right tire size. Something I'm going to fix in the near future. Here's a couple more pics of the torino. Garage is small so some of the pics are not the best angle....

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2013 at 2:43PM
Michael,

The Torino in my animated gif is the TV Hero#1.....
Everything I've read says they just added Hi-Jacker air shocks. Tires from that period were probably LR60-15's on 15 x 8.5 rims.

Here is my LE from the day.....
Hurst air Shocks (fully inflated) with Goodyear GT RADIAL LR60-15's on ET 15 x 10 slot mags.

Here is restored TV HERO#2....

Equipped with wagon rear springs, air shocks (not overly inflated) and 1 1/2" spacer on each spring, 275/60R15 tires on 15 x 8.5 rims. This is the car I'm cloning, so I will go the same route on mine.

Hope this helps!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-November-2014 at 1:10AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Alaskan Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 11:02AM
Update: My car is complete!  With 70,000 original miles, it still drives great! Put a lot of miles on it last 2 years. After scouring the old photos from the family, I found another photo of the Dealer Starsky Torino back in 1976. I took the photo, being an excited kid, it's a little blurry. Fast forward 40 years. I spoke with the former Ford dealership ( currently BMW) and they allowed me to park my Torino it the same spot as the one from 1976! Talk about deja vu! 

" border="">

" border="">
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 11:55AM
awesome! post a few more pics of it now Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 4:59PM
" border="">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:00PM
More...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:02PM
yet again...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:03PM
more...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:04PM
yet again....

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 5:23PM
VERY VERY cool
torino335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 6:18PM
very nice ,like the story too.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 8:18PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 10:16PM
WELL DONE Clap

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply