The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Slop and Pitman Arms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Slop and Pitman Arms
    Posted: 11-February-2013 at 4:03AM
I have a little bit of slop in the steering and have identified the culprit to be the connection between the Center Link (also known as cross link) and the Pitman Arm. Conventional wisdom tells me that simply replacing the bushing that connects the two should tighten up the steering. However, an exhaustive search has turned up no such part, and spending over $100 on a new Pitman Arm (C8OZ-3590A) seems like a waste.

Does anyone know if the bushing itself can be replaced? What is the part number for the bushing (c8oz...)? And if not, why does the whole part need to be replaced instead of just the bushing?

I found this pdf quite useful in figuring out the steering and suspension system: http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/dch73/V2D7311022.pdf.

I own a 1969 Ford Torino, base model.
Thanks,
   Jason
americanomuerto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2013 at 9:34AM
To answer my own question:

The "bushing" is known as a boot. Calls to parts shops have netted nothing, but apparently you can replace the boot with a Tie Rod dust seal (just $5.99 at obsolete & classic auto parts). I am going to get some further advice before I make this change.

Anyone agree with this plan of action or warn against it?
Thanks,
   Jason
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2013 at 9:40AM
That boot's sole purpose, to my knowledge, is just to seal assembly, NOT act as a bushing. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2013 at 4:56PM
I think the "bushing" is part of the casting of the pitman arm. Once it's worn it can't be repaired, it has to be replaced.
americanomuerto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2013 at 5:21AM
This is not good news Stanman. I get automotive work allowance every month, and paying $100 for a new arm would really cut into that, considering I have to repair my leaky power steering system.
Thanks,
   Jason
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2013 at 9:30AM
I'm not familiar with the '69 in particular, but all pitman arms I've seen are as described. There are more pre-1972 Torino owners on TorinoCobra.com, maybe one of them would have more accurate info.
 Post Reply Post Reply