The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 S&H replica - eBay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axe124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 S&H replica - eBay
    Posted: 11-February-2013 at 12:14PM
Hello everyone, new to the forum and thought that I'd jump right in.  Hopefully I'm posting in the right area.  I seen a 1974 S&H replica on eBay, its been listed a few times with the price being lower every time.  Was wondering what everyone thought about it and why do you think the guys having issues getting bids etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Ford-Torino-starsky-and-hutch-FINAL-LISTING-/261165680268?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&forcev4exp=true#ht_1144wt_1165

Thanks,

Scott
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2013 at 12:31AM
Scott,
From my perspective, usually, when an ad is quite wordy, and has a lot of "explaining" in it, it usually means "Caution". The owner states that the engine was bored over etc but that the engine/tranny/power steering leaks. The "easy fix" statement usually means it isn't. If it was so easy, why doesn't the current owner fix these? There're easy, after all? Owner also states he got the dash lights working beautifully. I would surmise that they weren't working when he got it? I think it comes down to the questionable wording of the ad and the questionable repairs made. Too much of the old "hard sell" going on for me. I think I counted 30 exclamation points. I think it's easier to just wait until another one or three come along for sale. Besides, I think half the fun is building it anyways.
-Mike
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2013 at 5:29AM
IMHO...
It is for sale from a guy who doesn't know how to sell on E-Bay. very wordy
he is frustrated from it not selling so he is telling you EVERYTHING HE CAN.

Rust free body and frame, frame off, all new paint(pic is at a professional body shop).
That car is worth every bit of that $8k!
Especially if it comes with a picture book documenting the restoration.
oil leaks... so what, tighten a connection, replace an intake gasket etc...

IF you are looking for an S&H... JUMP the car is worth it in body, paint and machine work alone.

Face it, a 40 year old car is going to need TLC all the time, little things he says are wrong, no biggie.
Rust free body that has been resto'd, repainted, and put back together properly... WORTH IT!

Offer him $6500 saying it hasn't sold on E-Bay all these times... CASH TALKS!
Especially if he knows it is going to a good home. 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2013 at 7:49AM
I agree. He sounds desperate, and is trying too hard to sell it. Make a cash offer, and I'll bet it will be yours.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2013 at 10:35AM
It's been re-listed and someone thinks it's worth $7500. 
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2013 at 12:03PM
  I like 74 -76 style cars ,  I don't think they all need a S&H paint job , but now that it , and it's a good start ,  it  does need to be finished , (interior , drips ,leaks , and all )  , I like to read those discriptions where I feel my jaw dropping , He  Really should just target buyers  who know what they are getting into ,  I'd say the car  has some good things, and some issues , as far as the fixes go ,   it's always easy when you know how,  And I know very little , heck  I have some members of my family who still don't know how to change out a lite bulb  ,  on a table lamp !  THIS IS MY FINAL POST !   (well maybe ) ,
albos73gts
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 3:03PM
I think it is a pretty nice ride. (if I were looking )I would start at $5500 and work up (if needed). The only real issue is the tan interior (I would go black) but it really seems like a decent car and being rust free seems worth the money.
 Post Reply Post Reply