The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some pretty sweet fuel line for the Cougar!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some pretty sweet fuel line for the Cougar!
    Posted: 15-March-2013 at 11:48AM
So, I HATED the way the line was bent and routed, so I decided to bend my own!
Took me a couple times to get the line off the pump perfect, but here it is!

Parts used:

85 Corvette Hi-Flo Filter.
3/8 Brake line
Bunch of inverted flare fittings and unions
90 degree Pipe thread to inverted flare elbow
Edelbrock feed line
GM fuel line repair kit (2 18" lines with o-ring flare on 1 side for fuel filter)
2 hold downs with rubber insulation

Here's some pics. Looks a bunch better! Enjoy:

77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 12:25PM
Nice work!
jrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 2:06PM
nice
Joe richardson
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 3:29PM
First of all let me say outstanding work. You provide me inspiration for my engine bay when I get to that point. We all know and say that hard lines are best for things, but rarely do we take the time and care to actually make it happen. You have done just that.

I do have a couple of questions:

1.  There are several unions in the line. Were they part of a larger plan or is there a reason? Or was it simply a concoction of available parts?

2.  The fuel filter housing you have looks quite nice. I know you mention it is an 85 Corvette high flow filter. Is this something off Rock Auto, or is it a special part of some sort? How would another person go about obtaining one? Is it a replaceable element filter or a metal throw away?

Again, great work!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 6:44PM
Thanks Scott!

I used 2 unions. The first one being between the carb and the filter. I used the Edelbrock feed line.

I cut it, slid a fitting on, and flared it.

I also got 2 of these.

They're 18" lines. RockAuto has the listed as "Fuel Line Connectors" Dorman P/N 55180 One side has the O-ring with flare on it. The other side, I double flared to mate with the Edelbrock line (hopefully this makes sense). Not sure what the proper name for it it, but that's the type of flare the fuel filter accepts. It was alot cheaper and neater to use those, than to buy the O-ring to Inverted flare adaptors ($20+ea.)

Union #2: Incase something were to ever happen, I figured it'd be alot easier to repair or replace a section, rather than doing a length of 2 feet +. Granted, I haven't bent many lines in my time, but it was a huge PITA to get the line coming off the pump bent perfect. I figured sectioning that would be better also.

The fuel filter for the 85 Corvette: Not a special order. Almost every parts store local to me had it in stock. I'm pretty sure most GM's from the mid 80s and up used the same style filter. I'm not sure if they're all "Hi-Flo". I bought a WIX filter. WIX P/N: 33481

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by mlachance112785 - 15-March-2013 at 6:46PM
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2013 at 6:50AM

That looks great.  I'll definitely be doing something similar when I install the 4bbl on my car. 

Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
 Post Reply Post Reply