Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quartz Clock Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quartz Clock Conversion
    Posted: 15-March-2013 at 12:16PM
Has anyone done a quartz clock conversion for the clock in their dash? The mechanical clocked in my car stopped working a few years ago (and it never kept time well anyway). I was thinking of using a kit from this Instrument Services Inc.

Instrument Services Inc.

I have the guage cluster dash, so it's the small clock. According to the company it's kit T-3025, which is listed on eBay at $75 but they told me they sell to me for $60 directly (without the DVD video, which is included on eBay, $5 extra from the company).

Any input or experiences appreciated.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 3:14PM
I almost did one for my Chrysler 300, but found a fully repaired one on eBay, so I just got that and skipped the conversion kit. If I ever need to do any work to it, I will send it in for a professional quartz conversion (the company you mention looks good). I don't have any personal experience with any, but do know that in general it is a wise choice.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 3:57PM
I had it done, but I forget where. Works great. Spins "smooth". 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
TomiTomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomiTomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 9:59PM
I bought a converted clock at Clock Works. It didn't run very long...Ouch
Tomi
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 12:03PM
Hmm...sounds like it's a good idea so far. Anyone on here use Instrument Services Inc? For the price, I should hope they would be good. I can't imaging a small quartz electric clock costs very much to manufacture.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
llw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 2:38AM
I can't remember if I got the kit there or somewhere in WI.  Did it a long tome ago to the small clock in a 73 Sport. Not hard to do, clock still works today
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 7:00AM
Vince - did you end up going with Instrument Services? If so, how were they?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 8:36AM
Hey Scott,

I decided to go with a kit from them, but I just ordered it not too long ago. It should come in the mail shortly. I will report how it is once it comes in.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 10:01AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I decided to go with a kit from them, but I just ordered it not too long ago. It should come in the mail shortly. I will report how it is once it comes in.
By all means Vince if you can do a thread on the conversion process, I'm sure others would like to watch it being done... I know I sure would... That's one of the things on my TO DO list!!

Looking forward to seeing how it's done...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
llw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 11:36AM
Would you believe I found the original paperwork, It was from Instruments Services, Inc. They were in Janesville WI at that time----April 1989  My clock was a Borg CA-7206 and required kit No. F3020 ($29.90) to convert it.  Like I said it wasn't too hard, but that was a long time ago and the clock still works.  They advised me that Genaral Time also made an identical clock that takes a different kit.  I don't remember how to tell them apart.   llw88
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 1:05PM
I bought a small clock kit from a local hobby shop and painted the hands with fluorescent orange paint.  The clock has been running great for over 2 years on a single AA battery.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 1:12PM
I did the conversion last week. It's not overly hard to do, and the instructions are pretty good. I did take photos of the steps if anyone is interested in seeing I can share them. I just hooked the power back up tonight to test it out. So far it works well, I see if it keeps time properly.

If anyone is interested, order directly from the company. It was cheaper for the clock and shipping that way.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Timustbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timustbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 4:20AM
Vince,
  As I near the beginning of my instrument cluster rebuild I'm interested in the status of this.  Is the clock still working?  Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I did the conversion last week. It's not overly hard to do, and the instructions are pretty good. I did take photos of the steps if anyone is interested in seeing I can share them. I just hooked the power back up tonight to test it out. So far it works well, I see if it keeps time properly.

If anyone is interested, order directly from the company. It was cheaper for the clock and shipping that way.
Tim Northcutt
'72 Ford Gran Torino Sport (Pearl White)
'07 Jack Roush SC F-150 (red)
'02 HD Road King Classic (Luxury Blue and Diamond Ice)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2018 at 5:37AM
It still works fine and keeps time reasonably well. Good luck with the conversion.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply