The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Tomato dealer ad mix-up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Tomato dealer ad mix-up?
    Posted: 28-March-2013 at 1:28AM
This is from a newspaper ad of August 11, 1976 in
upstate New York and appeared among dealer's
new car inventory ads:

Green, with Starsky & Hutch option....
David
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2013 at 10:48AM
I imagine what you are seeing here is a dealer, who late in the MY (come late Sept. the '77's would be hitting the lots) is trying to sell a Torino no matter what knowing that this is the last year for the Torino....with Starsky&Hutch being popular he probably thought that the stripe would be a selling point on this otherwise average Green Gran Torino. 
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2013 at 10:59AM
There was a S&H that was factory dark red. I agree with what Brian said though.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2013 at 11:51AM
 In 1976 my first S&H that I ordered came from the factory in dark red and I refused to accept it and there was a big scene ( made by me of course ) because I wanted them to order me a different one and they did not want to.
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2013 at 11:00AM
I had a guy come up to me while I was sitting in my car and comment how he liked the car. After a bit of discussion, he mentioned how he had one "but it was green". He seemed very sincere and not boastful. Although I've  never seen a green one, his story seems plausible...
 Post Reply Post Reply