The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scuffed piston skirt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scuffed piston skirt
    Posted: 29-March-2013 at 7:30AM
Was over at the dealership prepping my newly acquired 460 so I could sandblast it and get her all painted and detailed up and I noticed this.....

The skirt of the #7 piston (rear most passenger side) is scuffed/scored a bit. Didn't have time today to roll the engine over and check the rest to see what they looked like. Any ideas what may have/is causing the skirt to get scored like this?? Need to know what to look for...

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2013 at 10:25AM
There are a host of possibilities for the scuffs on the piston skirt, though they do look typical for an engine that has 5K or more miles in it(read a previous post). If the scuffs/scratches aren't deep enough to be felt with your fingernail, I would probably run it as is. When the pistons were originally installed the builder could have slid the piston in the bore before putting the rings on, to test fit. There could have been some debris in the cylinders or ring lands at the time of assembly. The ring compressor and or the way the pistons were installed could have caused the scratches. Are these original pistons or aftermarket? How many miles are on them? If needed the heads may need to come off and remove a piston or two and check piston to cylinder wall clearances as well as piston ring end gaps and wrist pins for loose or tight fit into pistons. You will be out the cost of intake/head gaskets but it will ease your mind knowing which direction you will have to go before you install it in your Torino. While in there you can check other tolerances upon removal of parts. I know it seems like a lot of work for a few scratches, but it's really the only way to be totally sure you don't have a potential problem down the road. Hope you get it figured out.  Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 30-March-2013 at 10:27AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2013 at 11:47AM
Went back over this morning and rolled the engine over to check ALL the pistons and the cylinder walls and have deduced the scuffs to be ASSEMBLY RASH. All the bores are glass smooth and there was absolutely no trash in the pan when I removed it.
Spoke with my buddy I bought the engine from and he in turne had showed the picture to his current engine builder and their thoughts coincided with my thoughts and findings today, so I feel pretty sure I'm good.

Thanks for you comment Todd because that just reinforces my logic! Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2013 at 2:58PM
It is always good to know that everything is in good condition before you go through the trouble to install, glad you found everything was OK and the previous owner confirmed it through his engine builder. Good luck with your build, nothing like BBF Power. I know it kinda sucks when I have to fill the tank, but when I mash the Go pedal it erases any frown I had at the gas station. Truth be known, I am pretty amazed at my MPG, I'm getting almost 22mpg...............10 in the city, 12 on the highway LOL. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply