The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C4 fluid change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C4 fluid change
    Posted: 01-April-2013 at 2:43AM

It’s been a while since I’ve been here! Two other cars have kept me busy in the meantime :).

I’m looking at replacing the transmission filter and fluid in my ’77 Cougar 302. In order to minimize the mess of dropping the pan full of fluid, can anyone confirm if you can siphon fluid out through the dipstick tube first, and how much I can expect to get out this way? Are there any obstacles to inserting a tube into the pan this way?

Also, has anyone used the Spectre replacement pan (with drain plug!) for this transmission (the stock C4), and is it any good? It’s certainly cheap enough (~$20 at Autozone), and would make future fluid changes much easier.

If anyone has any tips to help with the transmission fluid change, I'd love to hear 'em!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 3:55AM
you could do it that way, and it'd probably get *most* all of it.

The spectre pans will rust as you stare at them, but the drain plugs are nice.

I've used the 'bolt in' drain plugs in the HELP! section, on stock pans with good results. Only other advice is to actually use a torque wrench on the bolts for the pan. 

BTW, welcome back, thought you left the scene.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 2:20PM
don't forget to check for a converter drain plug.I'd just crack the pan bolts and let the fluid seep out letting the pan drop at an angle as you loosen/remove the bolts,when you have the last few bolts to remove hold the pan up with one hand while removing the bolts with the other hand.then ease the pan down with both hands while keeping the pan level.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 6:11PM
Not a C4 fan But really we are also changing the filter right? Lossen up the bolts and set a pan under it, Crack a corner of the pan down and  let it drain. As far as see I  C4 is a joke light duty pile of junk. Great for grandma driving. While it hogs 12  HP less than a real transmission it  was very popular  with floor shift console cars.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 2:26AM
I believe Art Carr would disagree with that, LOL.

You can build a C4 that will handle most anything you can throw at it. Lots of tested durability on the strip, plentiful aftermarket support, one of the best transmissions Ford built - comparable to the GM Turbo 350.

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but both FMX transmissions I have run were horror stories that would cause a man to go insane.   
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 2:39AM
Sucking it through the dip stick would probably work. I have never had a problem loosening the pan bolts, letting the lower end drop slightly to drain the fluid into a pan. Then removing all the other bolts, while holding the pan. Carefully remove the pan and dump it in your drain pan. It's not really messy if youre careful. I just use a standard oil change pan and spill very little.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply