The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autobody paint / primers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autobody paint / primers
    Posted: 15-April-2013 at 6:28PM
So, been getting back into the swing of things on Carl's project.

Question is, who is using what on their stuff.

I'm interested in hearing out what systems are being used.

Mainly primer > base coat > clears

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2013 at 1:02AM
I'm all over the place, and I'll get you a list later.

Cavalier was R M / Diamont stuff the first time all the way through. Second time was a combination of Keystone/Valspar/ R M stuff. 

Cougar is Keystone / Something single stage that I mixed with some Valspar clear I had. 

Toronado I did years ago was all Nason stuff (cheap cheap) single stage. 12 years later it's faded and has a few spots of rust popping through while sitting at the junkyard. I tend to think prep and maintenance is more important than materials..

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2013 at 12:37PM
I've been using 5 star primer (buff color) for about 5 years now. Great holdout.
Some paint jobs on cars I use Omni, some PPG DBC or Global.
Clear, I like using Shopline, or House of Kolor.
I really like Shopline for overall paint jobs. Normally HOK for motorcycle paint jobs (painted a couple thousand motorcycles in the past 11 year)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2013 at 1:01PM
you have 11 years experience in paint and body?
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2013 at 1:11PM
Actually, I opened my motorcycle custom painting business back in March of 2002.
My record was 72 motorcycle jobs in at the same time...but times have changes lol. Of course I had a 3-5 employees at around that time to help to.

I'm 51 so I've been doing paint and bodywork for quite a bit longer than that.
Worked for auto dealerships in the body shop before opening the business.

Smile
twosfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2013 at 2:11PM
I know I am way too late on posting this! I am sorry, I haven't been on the forums in a while. But there are a few products I use on a daily basis that I highly recommend. I use HOK (House of Kolor) primers through clear on most projects. Their KD 3000 series primer is amazing. A single primer used as an epoxy, high build and sealer (depending on mixing)! And it comes in various tints! It has worked phenomenally for me. I have sprayed a lot of their custom bases, mixes, candy basecoats and candy concentrates and never had a problem. I do lots of airbrushing and never had a problem with bleed or the like (other then my own mistakes because I was impatient!). I usually spray their Show Klear, I believe it is USCO1? I also recommend all the products from Southern Polyurethanes. All their primers and clears spray and cover excellent! Their clears flow excellent and buff amazingly easy. Hold out is great too! Anyway, Just my 2 cents!

Edited by twosfamily - 26-October-2013 at 2:12PM
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2013 at 4:17PM
Using SEM High Build Primer Surfacer.....the paint shop will be shooting the base and clear.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
twosfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2013 at 12:16AM
SEM high build primer/surfacer, is that the Metalock? That is a great DTM primer. I have sprayed that often. It flows and levels nice which makes blocking nice and easy!
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2013 at 3:13PM

I don't think it is the Metalock as I could not find it any where on the the can....The shop owner ,where I am taking the Gran Torino for it's base and clear, has been telling me which products to use and which to stay away from....He shoots SEM high build primer surfacer.

To me ,this primer is easy to use...keep in mind that I haven't done anything body work wise on a street car since I was in high school ('81-'82) and I currently do not have any air tools nor a compressor so everything is done by hand or with electric power tools.....thanks to this site and the guidance of Tim at Tim's paint and body works here in Topeka I have surprised myself as far as what I have been able to accomplish body work wise.

Other products that Tim suggested that I use and have used so far on the fenders:

USC Duraglas to fill in,seal and build up and 3M Flowable Finishing Glaze for leveling over the Duraglas and also to fill. A rust inhibitor...such as POR 15 as an example.

Edited by Zebra 3 - 27-October-2013 at 3:15PM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply