The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ford 9in. 3.25 traction-lok

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Baby Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford 9in. 3.25 traction-lok
    Posted: 30-April-2013 at 3:45AM
Help! This never happened fefore! April 27, first day out of winter storage after a good warm-up I drop the oil and change the filter, and finsh the oil change. Next day a good cleaning and off to Rita's for some Italian ice, less that twenty miles round trip. I thought I heard some noise from the rear going around the ramp on the highway but with the tunes from the radio it didn't sound too bad. When we  were ready to leave Rita's I back up and it sort of felt I was trying to pull out in too high of gear!  The car only has 37 thousand miles on it, all easy miles I never even tried to lay a patch! Last year the pinion seal was leaking so not being able to do work like this myself any more, neck fusion, I take it to the shop and let them do it. That didn't  work out too good, some how they got the pinion too tight, not good! I take it back and instead of puting in a new crushring they and a shim. I only drove about two hundred miles last year and every thing seemed OK. I called the shop and they said make sure the brakes weren't hanging up! I jacked it up and every thing seems to roll  freely. It's raining now and we don't go out in the rain, so next nice day we go for a little ride and take it to the shop to see what they have to say! I never messed around too much with traction-lok rears. I was around trucks all my life, we had a small family business since the 30's so I seen all kind of drive lines but nothing this small!  I don't know could it be the clutches from sitting around or what! Any ideas!  Harry
One of Fords better ideas!
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 12:07PM
The clutches can dry up from storage all winter, then when you turn enough to make them slip they will chatter. they should quieten down after a little use.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 2:43PM
Thats a big no-no by not replacing the crush sleeve.you just can't back off the nut for proper pinion bearing preload.any compentant garage would know that.get that sleeve replaced and check the bearings out.Try adding friction modifier if you think the clutches are dry.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2013 at 10:14AM
HereĀ“s a nice thread on 7173Mustangs.com
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-rebuild-a-ford-9-inch
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Post Reply Post Reply