The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me id this 70 Ranchero!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadassa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me id this 70 Ranchero!
    Posted: 19-May-2013 at 12:41PM
Hey guys I posted last week about that 70 Ranchero I was getting the "Falcon" ranchero. Well I finally got her home and ran the vin number. And I can't seem to find ANYTHING on it aside the engine. It was a six cyl 3 speed truck VIN is 0r27Lxxxxxx According to the Torino falcon and Ranchero vin Databases they never used this 0r27 code on any 70-71 Torino/Fairlane/Falcon BUT they did use the 27 in the early 60s for the Falcon Rancheros and when I shelled out the cash for the Falconregistry it actually pulls up as a 1960 Falcon Ranchero with the six in it But the rivets on the dash show no signs of tampering. Can anyone help me ID this thing? Its been wrecked before so the Drivers door is not original and it has the 70 speedo cluster in it too Also here are pics! For refrence all 70 rancheros had a vin with a 4 in them depending on a trim level replaced door was a 1a46 making it a base model built in Atlanta. The one on the das shows to be built in San Jose, Ca. My biggest fear is that the dash was pulled out of a car in a junkyard -cus its a near perfect dash- you know people forget to change the VINS when they slap a junkyard dash in a lot. But that's the 0r27 vin and the dash has been out because someone put in a heater box from an A/C car and this one originally didn't have it. Also here are some pics

Kadassa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadassa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2013 at 1:39PM

Ok in 71 they did use 27 to designate the Torino Sedan. But its not listed in the 70 list.

torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2013 at 5:30PM
is it a 27 or 47 on the dash numbers.i dont no if ford made a 70 1/2 falcon ranchero.. they made a 70 1/2 falcon car.also 70 1/2 falcon wagon.if you want to no what you got pull the front fenders of and check the body for the vin.. ..

Edited by torinojon - 22-May-2013 at 5:40PM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2013 at 10:51AM
Wiki says there is a 1970.5 Falcon... but a ranchero should probably not have a Falcon nameplate on the dash?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(North_America)#Third_generation_.281966.E2.80.931970.29

as much as I hate to do it, maybe register here: http://www.ranchero.us/forums/ 

so you can see more of the Pics section than you can as a guest, there ~may~ even be someone there willing / able to help you ID your car. looks like the resident (_!_)-clowns there have gone into hiding LOL

I just hope all the paperwork is in order and not a shady dash/title swap problem. as mentioned there should be a VIN stamped into the top side of the inner fender, underneath the outer fender

there's also a 70/71 Torino forum that may help: http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/

Edited by Rockatansky - 23-May-2013 at 10:57AM
72 GT Ute

Kadassa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadassa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2013 at 1:08PM

Unfortunately I got burned I ran both the vin numbers through the DMV and they both came up clean. except the fact that the One on the dash was turned in as a dismantled car. From what I figure some fella prolly found a really nice dash at the junkyard and replaced the whole panel and threw the old one away..with the original vin! So I got a really nice parts car. On the bright side I've located two more that I'm gona go look at this weekend! Also the falcon dash came out of a sedan for refrence

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2013 at 3:28PM
Parts is Parts man, the factory made them all... out of Parts!

most times the car with 'character' grabs my attention more

good news is that you don't have a major Censored problem on your hands
72 GT Ute

Kadassa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadassa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2013 at 3:49PM
Yup its a was a 3 speed car with a six in it now a 302 and AOD but still got clutch pedal in it. has disk brakes and the big block booster on it! And the poor thing is rust free all the way down to the floors! And 68-69 Torino style mags Shame I can't fix her. But parts worth more than whats I paid for her.
 Post Reply Post Reply