Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine install question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine install question
    Posted: 04-July-2013 at 10:38AM
So I have a quick question about installing the 521. I will be installing it without fenders or inner fenders (whole front clip is off). I have the hooker headers.

I know that generally the engine and headers need to be installed at the same time because of fit. But in my case where so much is exposed is that still true?

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 11:47AM
I just set my 351C in place on an open chassis, you'll need to have the headers laying in place and let the motor down onto them. no way long tubes are gonna snake in attached to the motor
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 1:02PM
What he said. Have em in place. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2013 at 1:25PM
I put my engine in without headers attached with my front clip off.  it was a beast trying to slide them into place even with the front clip off.  so what he said.  at least lay them in place or you will have difficulties getting them in...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2013 at 5:47AM
You only need to do that with the driver's side. The pass. will slide up from the bottom if you jack the car up.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2013 at 5:52AM
depends upon the specific headers. my super comps need to have the engine jacked to the ceiling for both sides... just slid in a set of Casler's, both sides slid in with the motor on the mounts, passenger from the top & driver from the bottom  
72 GT Ute

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2013 at 7:09AM
That is what is awsome about my Crites headers... Since they are just a slip fit collector, I can take the headers on/off with the engine in place even though they are 2" primaries (although it is extremely tight).
1972 Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply