The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear springs
    Posted: 17-July-2013 at 2:52AM
Need HELP.Replacing bushings and springs in rear to start.Have everything out bushings removed.Went to install springs,my car has a 1/2 solid rubber washer of some sort under the spring.I believe it was to lift the rear. Does anybody know were to get a reg retainer or what ever it is called or have two I can have so I can put it back together.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 4:34AM
pretty sure thats just a seat for the spring. I THINK poly pieces for a fox body mustang work, not sure. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 5:17AM
RockAuto will have them - what you need is a regular coil spring insulator. Rears are still available, it is the front that is harder to get. The insulator will go at the top of the spring in the frame pocket. There is no washer, donut or whatever on the lower end.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 6:40AM
So there is no ins. on the bottom,correct? It was the heat,Age and heat do funny things on way home from Ithaca I realized what the hard plastic or rubber was, bottom insert for the air bags I had on the car.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 7:12AM
uploads/3/Rear_Coil_Spring.pdf

The attached page from the master parts will illustrate the location of the insulator.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 8:30AM
got it no bottom insulator.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 7:01PM
Just installed a set myself, really easy.

To get them out, just take the tires off, jack the back end up pretty high, support the rear frame rails with some solid large jacks, unbolt the lower retaining bolt of each rear shock. Then you just lower the rear axle down and the springs will just fall out almost. 

To reinstall, put the insulator on top, shove the spring into the seat and the upper pocket, slowly jack up, checking at each pump of the jack and readjusting as necessary, then get the shock hooked back up when able (it will then prevent the axle from coming down far enough for a spring to fall out).

Easy!

Fronts - not anywhere near as easy!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2013 at 10:58PM
bushing removal not hard either. That's why I started with the rears first.
79orangebird View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79orangebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2015 at 10:04AM
I went to change rear springs and after I took rear tires off and disconnected shock absorber and then lowered 1 end of axle, the axle dropped down, but i still coudnt get spring out, it still had some tension on it.  It looks like the park brake cable is preventing the axle from coming down far enough for the spring to fall out.  Did you also have to disconnect park brake cable?
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 2:38AM
No need to remove park brake cables but the rubber brake line has alot of tension put on it. You can unbolt it from the rear end and get some more travel.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 1:20PM
get both rear wheels off, and both shocks off, then with the axle hanging, and jackstands under both sides of the frame, you can pull/push the opposite side as well to get the springs in/out. I put Mark V springs (stiffer and taller) in mine with no problems. Maybe 30 minutes start to finish.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply