The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Template for bodywork?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Template for bodywork?
    Posted: 25-July-2013 at 11:15AM
My 1/4's are shot around the wheel well. Can't find any replacements so have to try fab some up. Not looking for perfection just so they look like they belong to a Montego. So do people make a template so they get close? If so out of what?
Steve
73MONTEGO
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2013 at 12:12PM
I did it with a piece of paper and then made a cardboard template before.
I used it to run around the junk yard and see if ANYTHING was close that was more readily available.
NOTHING I found.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2013 at 12:58PM
You can make up a template with cardboard before cutting.
Purchase some of the flexible edging which is 3/4" by 3".
Cut out the old metal. Use that flexible edging to form the new lip and weld this on. this will get you started.

If you have a good wheel opening, This REALLY helps. You can use this instead of the template

I did this on my 72 Montego. You should be able to do the same for your Torino

Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2013 at 3:44PM
I really need you to have an extra pair . I have a 73 MMGT.
73MONTEGO
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2013 at 4:04PM
Check out Regul8r's ol' brown's resurrection thread. Your car should be simpler, without the character lines in the quarters. Ttry to find junkyard front fenders for a 77-79 thunderbird/ranchero/cougar/LTDII. Front wheel opening is longer front to back, but the overall shape is right. Section panels as needed to make patches, and don't cut your car until you are happy with your patches.
We used to use these fenders (or AMC hornet/Gremlin), to make flared quarters for other cars, the way Eliteman is doing to Regul8r's car
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2013 at 5:25AM
I think the flexible edging  looks like a great idea.  I think they look a lot easier to mold to the contour you want. 

Um, while I think the front fender patch is clever, I don't think the look is everyone's cup of Tea.  It certainly doesn't look stock and I think you need to be a bit better at body work to make that work then forming the lip than using the edging.  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2013 at 11:50AM
While I realize Regul8r's torino is NOT stock and may not be to everyone's taste, I was using it as an example of the process.
The Montego rear quarter opening already has a large flare to it, like the front fenders. Sections of the flare are already going to have the compound curves worked in as well as a lip on the edge, and it would be the same gauge as the existing car. The flexible edge works well if there is enough of the existing lip to form it to. Also, all the little gaps between the "fingers" of the flex edge will need to be filled in, which makes for a LOT of welding and more opportunity for warpage. I suggested the 77-79 fenders because it is still more or less the same as the montego/elite fender, but more common in junkyards by me.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply