The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Montego GT - 429 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Montego GT - 429 question
    Posted: 27-July-2013 at 12:27AM
Where would the number be that shows that it is the original motor for that car?
Is it a vin number or....?

I was thinking of just getting a 460 already built. But then again, I like the idea of using my original block to build a 460. Just changing the heads.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 6:31AM
The VIN tells what the car was originally...

Your car should have an "N" code as the 5th digit.
IF it is a true N-Code car they are more rare than any of the others.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 6:39AM
I thought a 302 is the rarest in a MGT?
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 7:05AM
Thanks for the reply....

It is a true "N" code 429 Montego GT
I plan on getting the motor rebuilt, but wasn't for sure if it would make sense to use at least the 'original' block to make the car more original. 

Basically so I can just say "matching numbers Montego"
Or, can I could go with any D2 block and consider it original? 

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 7:41AM
IF you have another block and have the ability to build it the way you want... I would do that and hold the original. Can always go back to original that way.
Seeing as you already painted it and done little custom work taking it away from original... save the original and build a new custom.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 8:19AM
I don't have another block, but that is a good thought.

Actually, the brown Montego you see is my MX.

This is the GT I just got. Completely original inc paint, spare tire, interior, trim.... except of course the wheels.
From what I've read only 202 N codes and only 10 are registered. hard to believe it was sitting on a trailer for the past 5 years about 5 miles from where I work.

So when I redo this one, I want to keep it as orig looking as possible (except the Magnum 500 wheels I'll be adding). Like to get about 400-450hp and keep the motor/ac looking stock as possible.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 10:31AM
WOW! Great looking car and that would be nice to restore back to original.

Contact Ian, he is the resident Montego GURU...

he also maintains the Montego Registry so he can give you the #'s probably off the top of his head.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 1:26PM
I like those rims!
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Speedway 650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedway 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 8:10PM
  I like the Montego GTs even more than the Gran Torino Sports. I had a chance at a nice Q-code 4 speed car several years ago, but I didn't have what he was asking for it reasonably available.

Those rims look like the factory ones on my 1977 Ford Thunderbird. They had a large chrome center cap and shiny trim (beauty rings). Oddly enough, they were color keyed to the car and looked like alloys. They are actually steel rims with a hard rubber-like decorative insert molded on. Still, they were respectable looking wheels.

Factory wheels can look nice. I changed the steel rims and hubcaps on my Elite to the alloy Lincoln "Turbines" from Mark V.

-Les
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2013 at 11:31PM
Regul8r, I've been a member of that forum for a while. I've even bought some parts from Ian. I've emailed him the VIN early last week before I even bought it to see if it was registered. I also emailed him on some other parts after I bought the car, along with posting on the forum, but hadn't heard anything from him.

Les, Yep, those are T-Bird wheels. They have the center caps that say Thunderbird. Don't know what happened to the stock wheels. Stock wheels on a Montego GT is a big dish center cap and a beauty ring. Seems everyone that has a GT puts on the Magnum 500 wheels which I plan on doing.

Still like to keep it all original as possible, but beef up the motor a little.
Still thinking stock block, 460 crank DOVE or alum heads, small cam, keep the optional air cond, stock air cleaner. Would like to even avoid headers if possible.

Great to see a lot of the parts on the Montego GT and MX are used on it's big brother, the Gran Torino
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2013 at 8:13AM
Sounds like a great plan
no harm no foul making it what you want it to be
Stock and original is great but if it ain't what you want... GO FOR IT!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply