The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

roadmaster crank sensor issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: roadmaster crank sensor issues
    Posted: 03-August-2013 at 6:05PM
The Old 96 roadmaster has developed a crank sensor issue. The Computer is throwing me out a PO335 and 336 engine codes. the one is a "crankshaft positiong sensor curcuit malfuction" and the other is "cranksaft sensor range/perf". I have at this point replaced the crank sensor, plug to the sensor and checked the wires in about 2 ft from the sensor (ones that run under the oil pan lip). I need to know where these go into the computer (wire postion) so I can check the entire wire. The car starts and runs fine. the first start up no light and as long as the car is running no light. The second start the light will come on within 5 seconds after she fires up. Again the car runs fine. I am suspecting a connector because she doesn't like to get wet. Will stall and not restart in the rain and when running it through the car wash. Both issues came up at the same time. So please help if you can. the car will be needed at the end of the week to do a 10 hr round trip and I really need to get the fixed! Thanks in advance for any suggestions Dan Confused
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2013 at 9:21PM

Dan have you checked the actual termination of the wires inside the connectors?

I chased an intermittent idle air code for 2 summers, changed the IAC, the fuel tank breather and the pre-cat O2...
I finally caught on because of the way Autozone dude worded it, something like 'the signal is not getting through' 

what's between the IAC & the computer?

wires

so sure as Censored I open up the rubber boot over the plug & find a wire broken off at the crimp

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-August-2013 at 9:24PM
72 GT Ute

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2013 at 1:27AM
Thanks that is what I was thinking as well. I will check into that today. Take care Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2013 at 1:30PM
Checked the connector and one of the connections appeared to be in question (bad crimp). Checked it with a meter and it was a bad connection. Replaced/wired in a new one and the car stalling in the wet has stopped Smile but the same fault codes keep popping up Angry! I checked the new connector real good both visual and with a volt meter to assure the connections were good. So what else could be causing these two codes to keep popping up? I would like to check on the CPU side but I don't have a schematic for that car. I only have until Thursday to figure this out.   
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2013 at 3:25PM
timing chain?

computers & electronic diagnostics don't take into account for old school hard part wear, tear & failure
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2013 at 9:52AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

timing chain? Nope! Done that about 10K ago.Big smile

computers & electronic diagnostics don't take into account for old school hard part wear, tear & failure
 Trying to figure what wire in that three wire curcuit (power/ground/signal) could maybe become open or possibly slightly shorted and the car continue to run (I might add run real good too)
 Post Reply Post Reply