The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with rust inside quarter panels?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to deal with rust inside quarter panels?
    Posted: 14-August-2013 at 5:17AM
Hey guys, I was looking around and inspecting the torino, and I noticed on the inner side of the quarter panels through the trunk area has light surface rust and was wondering how to deal with that? Because I plan on media blasting and want a rust free car but does media blasting cover that, because its a pretty hard to reach place and also on the inner roof where the back glass mounts there is like a support bar that goes across there's rust up in there, does that support bar come off so I can get to that rust cuz it looks like its starting to rust pretty bad? Thanks for any help
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2013 at 7:37AM
my painter just borrowed my sandblaster to get inside my rear quarters.  its doable.  when he finished, he painted it with a rust inhibitor. don't know which one he used. 
things like the inside of my front fenders, I just used a wire wheel to get as much of the rust as possible then painted over it with POR-15. 

I don't know about the support bar.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2013 at 4:02AM
Clean it the best you can with wire wheel or sand blast if you like a mess.  Then spray with Eastwood rust Converter and top with Eastwood rust encapsulator. 

I am a big fan of Eastwood rust encapsulator over POR-15.  POR-15 is a B*tch to clean up, has some bonding attribute that makes opening/saving/storing/using it a nightmare.  Eastwood stuff seems to go on easier, doesn't act like glue and is UV stable. 

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
 Post Reply Post Reply