The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gran Torino gets a few things done.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedway 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gran Torino gets a few things done.
    Posted: 15-August-2013 at 4:31PM
  My Gran Torino was originally a vinyl roof car. When it got the paint redone, the painter pulled the top and the trim. They then proceeded to fill the stud holes with Bondo, which must have shrunk a little. I am bothered by the fact that in certain light and from certain angles, I can see the places where the trim was fastened. I am contemplating reinstalling the lower edge trim. It has been polished up and I think it would look decent, due to all of the other bright trim on the car. Better than the old trim fastener impressions do now, anyway. What do you guys think about the vinyl top trim on a fastback without the wrapped top?

Also, the last project was to redo some stuff in the interior. The original carpet was trashed. The front lower seat cover need to be replaced. All of the window seals were either broken apart or soon to be so. The dash had a couple of cracks in it, as well. As time allowed, over a week and a half, I replaced the carpet, window seals, covered the dash, and with my wife's help, installed the seat cover. THAT was a bear! Has anyone else recovered their own seat? All parts were from Dearborn Classics. I am happy with the results. I'll post a couple of finished pictures soon.

While the interior was apart, I properly routed the rear speaker wiring. The new carpet had the heat and sound insulating padding. The tar paper barrier in the doors and quarter panel area was replaced with sticky acoustic matting. More of it went in to areas of the floor and trunk that needed more insulation. With some of the flaws I see in the paint, I am pleased to say the car is almost totally rust free. The floors, inside the doors, and the rear quarter area in front of the wheel well are super clean. I could already see the inside fenders, trunk hatch lip, and and lower truck areas were clean. Basically, all the usual rust spots. I am wondering how bad the factory paint could have been.

Here are a couple pictures of the interior project.

Les in MI.

Post Reply Post Reply