The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now I'm confused...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now I'm confused...
    Posted: 16-August-2013 at 12:24PM
I have started tearing into this engine and came across something. I was told when I bought this car it had the original 1973 351 Windsor. Upon removing the intake, the bottom has an valley pan, turkey pan, or whatever it is called installed on the bottom. I read online that the Cleveland's were the only ones that had that oil splash pan, not the Windsor. I know for a fact the block is a Windsor, but from the casting numbers on the intake, it is a 1977, not a 1973. Am I reading something wrong?
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 12:28PM
So the 2nd digit in the number is a 7?
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 12:38PM
Yes D70E-9425-BD
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 2:51PM
Post up some pic, is the pan visible  through the intake manifold? could it be a 255? how wide is the intake? or a windsor with cleveland heads?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 2:53PM
With a midland intake? post up pix of what you have.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 3:32PM
Did some searching and found posts on some other forums stating some  found  Valley pans too on 351W's.  Someone said Ford Racing sold them years ago for W's.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 7:01PM
Here is the valley pan on the bottom of intake.I'll post the other pics of intake casting numbers and heads when it gets daylight outside 

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 7:16PM
AH!
All the fords with the EGR system had those shields.
Served 2 purposes...
1. Heat up the carb/intake with the hot EGR gas when it was cold on first start  
2. to keep the oil off the HOT EGR areas of the underside of the intake once it got up to temp
The dents in it are a tell tale that it has been apart before too.
From the casting numbers you posted it is definately at least a 77 block.

When you said PAN we were thinking of the 1 piece intake manifold gasket set up.
Some of the Ford motors had a full 1 piece intake gasket that was made of sheet metal that ran across the intake valley.

Edited by Regul8r - 16-August-2013 at 7:19PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2013 at 8:54PM
So...I may actually have a Frankenstein engine.LOL
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2013 at 2:17AM
No. That is common in the later years.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2013 at 3:02AM
Here are the casting numbers on the intake. 
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2013 at 3:32AM
For some reason I can't get my pics to upload, but it says, 351 WCP 4 inside the lifter valley and intake casting numbers are, D70E-9425-BD. The heads have WCP 351 WF.

Edited by jsharp72 - 17-August-2013 at 3:41AM
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2013 at 4:26AM
Something else I just saw, the intake has a CCP stamp. From what I read online, that is Cleveland Casting Products. The WF, is that for Windsor Foundry?
jsharp72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2013 at 3:19AM
so if this true, its not all original?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2013 at 6:42AM
the Cleveland Casting Plant cast parts for many engines

the underside heat shield on the intake is NOT the turkey pan intake gasket

just looks like a standard wheezer LOL intake to me

what you want to do is work loose the rivets that hold the heat shield in place with a very small sharp chisel or prying tool & or pliers so you can clean the jank from inside there... if you're gonna re-use the intake?

then to re-install turn the rivets so they bite good & maybe use a drop of loctite

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-August-2013 at 5:15PM
72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 2:28PM
I cut a slot in the rivet with a die grinder,then use a good screwdriver and turn the rivet counterclockwise to remove them. Just tap back in with a hammer,good to go.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply