The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Lowering 75 Ranchero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Lowering 75 Ranchero
    Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:14AM
Anyone have any idea how to lower the rear of a 75 Ranch? Looked for springs but no one seems to have them. Outside of bagging it... Too much money, where can I get lowered springs with out having to cut some?
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:22AM
I believe you might be able to use a weaker passenger car spring that is not load rated. However, cutting a coil off is not that bad.

...or some bags of cement in the bed with a false floor, LOL.

Edited by unlovedford - 27-August-2013 at 9:22AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:32AM
I've heard of using a weaker spring, but won't that make my ride slushy? I wanted it to be tighter. And where would I cut my spring? They both curl into pig tails and if I cut it it wouldn't fit into the holder...
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 9:46AM
Weaker spring will not stiffen the ride or aid in handling, that is for sure. I would look for a higher rate spring made for handling - might even cross-check other makes of vehicles and models for an application that could be utilized.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 10:32AM
Using a cut-off wheel I cut between a coil and 1.5 coils out of my rear springs, I also used a torch to heat the spring to reform the pig tails. I know using a heat source on a coil spring is a bad idea but the pigtails just locate the springs in the upper or lower pockets, I only heated about 3/4 of a coil to reform one end. Doing this really increase the spring rate, firming up the ride and lowered the rear between 4 to 5 inches.  

Edited by aquartlow - 27-August-2013 at 10:34AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 10:35AM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Anyone have any idea how to lower the rear of a 75 Ranch? Looked for springs but no one seems to have them. Outside of bagging it... Too much money, where can I get lowered springs with out having to cut some?

Coil Spring Specialties

Custom stuff is their bread and butter. You tell them how far you wish to drop it, how firm you need it, and they'll fabricate a set to your specs.
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 12:56PM
Originally posted by OleDutchD OleDutchD wrote:

Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Coil Spring Specialties

Custom stuff is their bread and butter. You tell them how far you wish to drop it, how firm you need it, and they'll fabricate a set to your specs.
x2 they did the drop springs for my first torino told them 2" drop 20% stiffer
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 3:11AM
Check out Eaton Spring.  Send them an email or post in their forum and they will hook you up.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2013 at 1:41PM
I have Eaton's on the front, they didn't have what I wanted for the rear. I will check out that link. That you very much.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2013 at 2:13PM
When I checked into Eaton's for my LTD II wagon, they told me the biggest drop they could do in the rear was 1".  I ended up leaving the rear alone, and cutting 3/4" coil from my front OEM springs.
 Post Reply Post Reply