The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mig welding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsharp72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mig welding
    Posted: 14-September-2013 at 5:28PM
Is there a decent gasless mig welder that would work for welding in floor pans? I don't really want to mess with gas if gasless would work .
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2013 at 8:53PM
FC (flux core) will work but it's not pretty, spatters like all get-out and is hard to run 'on the low end' because the arc is so wild. you want to run more stick-out than you usually do with gas, it's a little weird because there's no gas nozzle, no gas shield to worry about... the gas is produced right at the puddle if you can call it that. FC is preferred over MIG outdoors because there's no gas shield to get blown away by a slight breeze, but a decent little breeze will still mess you up with FC, it's not bullet proof 

i'd grab the cheapest Harbor Freight deal you can swing with the 20% coupon, if the machine works, it works. it'll weld

are you going to butt weld the pans in, or use a lap joint? stitch it in solid or tack & seal?
72 GT Ute

robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 4:30AM
I bought the HF welder for the same reason - floor pans.  I could not stop burning holes.  I took it back and bought the Eastwood.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 5:56AM
Eastwood MIG or FC ?
72 GT Ute

robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 8:27AM
I bought the Mig 135 and could not be happier. Went to HF and bought their cart and helmet.  Gas is easy to get and seems to last a long time for me (I did forget to turn off the bottle after using it and over a week the gas leaked out).  

FC is just a tough way to weld anything not industrial. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 10:02AM
i'm leaning towards a HF MIG for about the same maybe a little more than it would cost to upgrade my Lincoln FC to MIG... especially for welding my fenders back together
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 11:59AM
IMO, don't buy a cheap welder, you'll regret it every time you "attempt" use it. My father found this out when he purchased his MIG welder, he bought a Clarke mig welder. What a POS that thing was, compared to my Hobart Handler 140. He "attempted" to use the Clarke MIG when replacing his '57 Olds Super 88's floor pans(solid wire and mixed gas), about 10 spot welds later he only used my Hobart to finish them and sold the Clarke for peanuts. I know my Hobart isn't top of the line but works great for me, it's 5 years old and I use it at least once a week without any issues with it(only replaced the MIG wire/flux core and refilled the mixed gas bottle). Good luck with whatever you purchase.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 1:01PM
Yeah go to Harbo freight and get you a deal there.I'm using pretty much the same thing for my floor pans
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 3:19PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i'm leaning towards a HF MIG for about the same maybe a little more than it would cost to upgrade my Lincoln FC to MIG... especially for welding my fenders back together

Why wouldn't you just upgrade your Lincoln to MIG, especially if its cheaper to do?  The HF is really cheap and has little control.  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 3:25PM
I bought a Lincoln electric mig welder FC and I LOVE it!!!  did all my welding on stacy lynn with it.  rear quarters, (including all the rusted out supports and inner fender well fabrications) and all my rust repair..  check out my progress thread for everything I did with it if you want...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 11:21PM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Why wouldn't you just upgrade your Lincoln to MIG, especially if its cheaper to do?  The HF is really cheap and has little control.  

I think you just talked me into it. I thought I had a problem with the spool holder screw-majig but after looking at it closer it may just be that the spool I have on there is slightly wider than some? I do like the Lincoln in general, especially that it only draws 15 amps where all others I've seen pull 20. I recently grabbed an adapter to allow the big spool, 8-10 lbs? and that adapter fits on fine, screw-majig snugs down all the way & has the right amount of resistance. just the darn 2lb spool that's on there now is too wide so the wave spring that causes drag is max'd flat & the spool won't turn... so I found a shim that lets it roll just right. gotta be a funky cheap crap Pinch spool

72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2013 at 12:41AM
I also bought the Eastwood 135 and it works great. I use it gasless for the moment and it splatters a bit. Kinda tricky on the low setting but for the price, you can't go wrong. I would thing a Hobart 140 or Miller should be a bit nicer, but as always, skills prevails.
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2013 at 9:33PM
I use co2 gas with my mig, works great with sheet metal. Not no good for aluminum or stainless steel. The welder is 150 amp Esab.
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2013 at 4:42PM
i bought a harbor freight flux core wire feed welder when they first  came out, POS, welded real erratic (found out later it had a missing gear tooth in the plastic feed) nothing against harbor freight, but sometimes you get what you pay for. i test drove a hobart it was ok, then a lincoln, bought the lincoln model sp100,with 75%argon/25% co2 mixed gas, love it! i've had it for over 15 years, never a problem! i also still have my dad's old lincoln ac180 arc welder (made in 1959) that i learned to weld with when i was 10 (i'm now 48) used both on a project last weekend  still working perfect!!!
 also , i would recommend a model that has rheostat type switches for both the amperage and the wire speed settings so you can fine tune it for what you are welding, the ones that have only 4 switched positions for the amperage makes it hard to control the heat (not good penitration or next setting is too hot and blows holes through) oh and i use the smaller wire .023 for body sheetmetal 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 5:03AM
The Eastwood MIG welder has fully adjustable current and wire speed.  Works well for me,
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
 Post Reply Post Reply