Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Steering Hoses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Steering Hoses
    Posted: 04-October-2013 at 4:43AM
For those of you with a big block and headers, what did you choose for power steering hoses? I had previously ordered a set of hoses and it looks like you can also get the fittings and some raw hose.

As I am finding out, clearances with headers is a bit of a problem with many things.

Not sure about power steering hoses, thought I would ask before I try and put them on.

BTW, I just have the standard Gates branded hoses from RockAuto.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2013 at 6:45AM
If you can get factory replacement hoses, it will save a quite bit of grief trying to bend and/or flair and/or assemble the hoses correctly. If you are using a Saginaw PS pump with a Saginaw PS gear, you will most likely be building/modifying your own hoses or hoses end to gear(or having them farmed out to a hydraulics shop). Ford NEVER, as far as I know, ever built an intermediate using a Saginaw PS pump with a Saginaw PS gear Confused. From what I have studied, a Saginaw pump was used exclusively with a Ford PS gear, the Ford gear has a 5/8" inlet fitting whereas the Saginaw uses an 11/16" fitting. The hose and metal tubing are the same diameter 3/8" +/- but the fittings are different, just a "heads-up". Gates and/or Dayco are good suppliers. Good luck.  Todd
P.S. Try to insulate the steering gear from the header's heat and use a PS cooler plumbed into the return line.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2013 at 7:25PM
Todd,

I am using a Ford gear and Ford pump. I will check the lines for fit here in the next couple of weeks and get some photos and info up of how it goes. I do have a PS cooler I will hook up for sure. As far as insulating the gear, are we just talking about a heat shield like you would get for your starter?

The headers are nice but the clearances are just nuts. I rerouted passenger side brake line. Need to get the header installed to ensure the reroute gets the line from the header.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2013 at 11:11PM
Yep, I know what you mean about the issues with the header clearances Ouch.  On my PS box I used a self adhesive, three layer heat shield. At first I was skeptical of how well it would work, I must say I am impressed with it. It forms fairly well to irregular shapes and the adhesive is rather aggressive. I can't find an example of the product I used, it is aluminum backed with a fiberglass core then a layer of the aggressive adhesive, most heat shielding I find now have a foil "material" and not rigid like I used. Being rigid makes it a bit difficult to form but it will last much longer. Todd 

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2013 at 5:32AM
First time I did it with the metal Ford pump I used factory ford hoses from Auto Zone for the pressure side. 

For the return line, you will *NEED* *NEED* a cooler of some sort. IMO the OEM line loop is a waste of time, but some people seem to like it.

I use a hydraulic fluid cooler from a Mack/Kenworth/something big truck that I got on eBay a few years ago. It gets fairly warm at idle.

You can see the lines here routed through the rad support holes for the OEM 'line' cooler. 

I use the plastic pump now, but same diff really.

My low pressure line went "PFFT!" and split the casing on the initial run of my car w/o any loop.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2013 at 5:20PM
Paul - thanks for the photos as always. I will get a good cooler. Looking to get a good tranny cooler and PS cooler and get them mounted in the front. I agree the loop doesn't do much without any fins. I guess it probably does something, but in the 460+header environment nowhere near enough.

Todd - will keep my eye out for a PS Gear heat shield. Perhaps if I keep the fluid cool with a kick ass fluid cooler should be ok.

BTW Paul - what is "Pimptastic"? - a car club of some sort?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2013 at 11:22PM
Scott,
 The heat shield did make a bit of difference in temp readings at my PS cooler, using a non-contact temp gun, about 35-50 degree difference between using and not using the heat shield/wrap. As far as finding and using a PS cooler, I sourced a trans cooler from a mid to late 90's Suburban @ a U-pull-it yard for $10, it works quite well even with the additional "heat load" from using hydroboost.

Hopefully you find what you need for the install. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2013 at 6:31AM
"Pimptastic". Lol. That's what a friend who ran a side biz making decals used to call my Cougar, so he maded me one.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply