The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ghost Q-Ship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghost Q-Ship
    Posted: 20-January-2017 at 11:08AM
We joined the Torino family on January 1st.
Pics when the DPO got it

As I saw it

first night at its new home

Looked at motor and what needed to happen before cranking the "rebuilt" motor...many red flags appeared and that mission was aborted..the "rebuilt" motor was a beautifully  painted piece of sh*t!
Getting ready to take out the trash....

Lets just say anyone can paint a motor, teardown and inspection revealed they installed the cam dry, torqued the head bolts down with a 1/2" impact (used form-a-thread on 3!) and tried to make it run till the cam went flat!....I am hoping the crank isn't junk as everything else was even the Eldebrock manifold was rewelded and surface ground with a hand grinder.
In all honesty I had made a bad assessment of the DPO's character and knowledge..so its my bad at least the Hooker headers weren't completely smashed!
The hunt was on for a replacement..and missing parts
Sent a friend on a 110 mile trip to retrieve a radiator from a fellow enthusist in Laguna Hills and he threw in some brackets Thank You!
Found a 400M engine in Santa Maria, sent another friend to retrieve a 320 mile trip (it is good to have college students as friends...just saying!LOL!!) And he brought back a diamond in the rough

The engine had been rebuilt(albeit stock) along with the transmission all for $600, picked up a seal kit for the tranny, changed the sevo to the "P' one and the apply arm to the "E"(sounds like a song right?), and swapped out the Lincoln long shaft out for the shorter normal shaft. Waiting on parts to "freshen" up the 400. More pics to come........
Oh the most Important picture of the happy new owner

Edited by gentrysgarage - 20-January-2017 at 4:36PM
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2017 at 8:47AM
Well its the 30th day since getting the GTS some updates ...

But first a quick media culture observation note:

Kinda funny how Southern California calls a "StormWatch" over a drizzle anywhere else in the world. At a time it could almost be used it seemed that the weathermen got tired of the extra words and effort it took to say them and stopped calling it a storm when we actually had RAIN! I just don't get it ratings maybe...well back to the normally scheduled programming........

While the rain actually slowed the progress down, most of my delays were self inflicted.

First Delay: Stock valve springs will only handle approximately .485 lift on exhaust and .495 intake. Changing out the rotators on the exhaust helps some but not enough.

Second Delay: Stock intake valve retainers are 2 small for decent size springs

Third Delay: Aftermarket valve spring retainers do not come with locks anymore....And on a side note ford used 3 different notches in the valve springs (78-80 400s have 1 notch but best to check before you order!)

Fourth Delay: When ordering online be sure to check and make sure you change the "your car" to the engine being worked on rather than leaving it a "Q-code" Got 2 intake gasket sets for a 4bbl Cleveland now.......Wacko

But aside from just replacing the oil pan gasket, it looks good!

Got the firewall started:

Still have some sanding to do and redrill a hole....got a little carried away!LOL

Want to paint the firewall this week and set engine and trans in...then suspension!

Edited by gentrysgarage - 30-January-2017 at 10:19AM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2017 at 8:57AM
Great start!  Looking forward to your progress.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2017 at 12:19PM
looks great! keep the progress and pics coming Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2017 at 12:50PM
Gonna be a great build to watch! keep the updates coming!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2017 at 10:47AM
Thanks Guys, will post more as the car gets done!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 8:36AM
2.5.17 UPDATE:
finished bodywork on hole patching, stripped front suspension, primered top of frame, wating for daylight to complete priming and painting it semi-gloss black. Also thinking I'm going to run the tach/guage wires out the hole to right of the bulkhead connection..it was for the 73 hood release.

Started stripping the bad application of cheap knockoff dynamat sound deadener in the interior...sorry late at night picture...but note the rust in the stiffening grooves of the floor...what a hookey job!

Any suggestions for removal?
Working on the energy suspension bushing install while the sky is falling in Cali Stern SmileLOL
Seems the springs where changed out and cut sometime semi-recently will compare them to the new CrownVic Cop car springs I got from Rock Auto (I read ALL the suspension articles..Thanks everyone who posted their thinking and ACTUAL experience on those topics, It made it easier for me!) Will be cutting 3/4 loop off to start..going for leve to 1" a$$ high in the rear at most.

More to come.....

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 10:38AM
Get in there with a grinder. Maybe there's an easier way, but that's what I had to do to get all the old sound insulation out. What springs did you wind decide to get for the rear? I don't think you'll be disappointed in the CV spring!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 12:58PM
Uggghh!!! A grinder! Man-o-man I see hours removing that goo!
I went with the 8307's I figure I would be trimming them alittle and it will increase the spring pressure a-bit.  I have to keep telling myself it's not my car, but for her otherwise it might be too harsh for her...... it is hard I tell you! I also got the CV Monroes...would have liked the Bilstiens but had to buy a few parts that I shouldn't have had to.Ermm

Edited by gentrysgarage - 07-February-2017 at 12:59PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 1:20PM
i have kin of a "cup" shaped wire wheel for my grinder, works pretty well Wink but you might try some torch heat to remove that either regular torch or even small propane one, it will burn some but burn a little blow it out and scrape with a putty knife/ screwdriver, burn a little more, scrape a little more....then wire wheel the remaining residue. that's how i got the factory stuff off Wink

looking good so far Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2017 at 6:01PM
<picture dump descriptions/captions tomorrow>

Saturday night 2.18.17

This made my day!

brand new and newer old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2017 at 6:13PM
Clap nice! where did you find PPG DAU? nice stuff but it's been discontinued for years Cry love that color! black cherry??
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2017 at 4:14AM
Looking great, nice work.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2017 at 6:15AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Clap nice! where did you find PPG DAU? nice stuff but it's been discontinued for years Cry love that color! black cherry??

I here yah, that was my my secret stash! one DAU 2 solidified Cry hope to stretch it for the basecoat.  Nothing flows as well as that paint.

It was brandywine KBC 2 stage system that was too red for me, candied it with an intercoat clear/KBC combo to darken it up.

I will try to add captions to my previous post.

Got the discs on, 3/4 of the megamat stripped out of the interior (not pictureworthy yet) got my quick ratio box on.

Seriously glad I got the car when I did as the DPO was stripping the car of all the good parts. I think it had the cross-country option with the quick steering box, front and rear sway bars ...I will get a Marti report when the project slows down.

Also switched out the hydro-boost Saginaw pump with a late 70's "Camaro" pump set up with 2 shims (wanted 3 but 2 is a good start) on the relief valve got a 6.13 pulley (replacing the 4.75 Lincoln one), replaced the 2.25 spring with a 2" and the larger discharge orifice (5/32"). Object is to have enough boost for the little lady to park comfortably, but not 1 finger driving at speed...anxious to find out how close I get!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2017 at 6:17AM
Oh Yeah gonna splice in the 72 frame horns this week any suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2017 at 3:01PM
if you haven't cut either yet... take several measurements from several common reference points, draw a sketch with the notes of the measurements on it, for both frames before you cut, then plan out your cut, tack weld the parts and check against your prior measurements to see if everything is were you need to be then weld it up Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 11:30AM
Clean the daylights out of both before starting.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 11:58AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

if you haven't cut either yet... take several measurements from several common reference points, draw a sketch with the notes of the measurements on it, for both frames before you cut, then plan out your cut, tack weld the parts and check against your prior measurements to see if everything is were you need to be then weld it up Wink

Only got the ends of the 72. Here's the plan: Make a jig to bolt the 72 ends to (not the bumper, might not be straight) one plane taken care of.  Centering the 72 horn's core support hole with the 73's core support hole and the height is a slam dunk.

Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Clean the daylights out of both before starting.

Will Do! Clean metal gives a clean weld which in turn is a strong one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 4:15PM
ok, so the 72 horns you have are cut back beyond the core support bushing holes? that should be a good reference point then Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2017 at 8:31AM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic