The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ghost Q-Ship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2017 at 12:31PM
one done?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2017 at 6:33AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

one done?

One ready for welding in that pic. Since I have problems posting long posts I will break up the weekend update between posts...seems I hit one wrong key and most of the post goes "poof"

While I was making sure this:

Didn't drop these :

10 stories at 2:00 am Saturday morning (no that's not me in the pic..but he does have a candy apple red 68 'Stang fastback!)

Meanwhile back at the ranch my insomniac college friend and his brother was dropping this!

I tell you this kid helps me out so much!

So Saturday at 8 am I am greeted by this wonderful site!

Cutting in frame horn:

R.I.P. my trusty SawsAll friend after 15 years he finally died...I just pulled out my spare...we all have spare sawsalls right?

And aside from stripping and painting the crossmember and starting on the core support I did finish triming the passenger frame horn:

Just have to do the cleaning welding and painting...hope to start the motor Saturday! Wow! I actually made this whole weekend post without making it go "poof" a third time.

LOL

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2017 at 12:35PM
What headers are you running on your 400?  How did they fit?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2017 at 4:23PM
wow, i didn't realize they sit back THAT far compared to the 73 and newer frames Shocked looks good!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2017 at 12:54AM
Those frame horns seem to fit on there perfectly. Did it take a lot of measurements before you got it right?
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2017 at 6:41AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

What headers are you running on your 400?  How did they fit?

They are Hooker Super Comps, the only reason I bought the GTS with the engine from the quote unquote "aircraft mechanic" (I sincerly hope he is just in charge of the black water tank on the jets...otherwise I would suggest NOT flying in or out of Ontario airport! He wouldn't sell the headers separate from the engine he rebuilt without honing the cylinders! He managed to "modify the collector to put a late model Mustang H pipe (which I didn't see) and masage the headers with a roofing hammer in a couple of places (my experience with Hooker has been that they are so well made that the massaging was the DPO being lazy. I will give you a final critique on the headers once I get the tranny crossmember  in.

wow, i didn't realize they sit back THAT far compared to the 73 and newer frames Shocked looks good!!

I guess Ford thought that 5 mph bumpers required about 5 inches LOL!

Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Those frame horns seem to fit on there perfectly. Did it take a lot of measurements before you got it right?

To really really paraphrase  Michealangelo "I simply removed what was not needed to reveal the frame within" On the first frame horn I found the centerline of both the 73 and 72 core support hole, measured the center of the core support hole to the bumper plate, cut 73 frame horn at that point. Once that was done I started to make a puzzle pice to give me the strongest front bumper mount I could make. once the 73 was trimmed to match the leflt over welds I couldn't quite remove on the inside frame to plate mount on the 72 (the grinder was starting to take chunks out of the bumper plate. I made a template of the inside of the 73  frame rail and trimmed the top rail of the 72 end to slip fit. Once I was happy with the fit I simply cut the passenger side to match and the Dishes Were Done (wiping hands with a smile)!

Well this box came yesterday and the Missus who is used to boxes coming to the door had to immediately call me rather excitedly:

I couldn't remember ordering Raw Balls which seemed to get her going more ...LOL! So she opened it and we found this:

Paid more than I wanted to, but happy with it. As I wanted it sooner rather than later so I can put the proper base on it and paint it when I paint the door.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2017 at 12:22PM
if you haven't welded them in yet you may need to mark and enlarge the hex hole to match the round 73 hole, if you are going to use the energy suspension core support bushings, someone on here had an issue with them fitting but many of us used them with out issues, in looking at your pics i see what they were talking about the hex being smaller. just something to keep in mind
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 9:59AM

if you haven't welded them in yet you may need to mark and enlarge the hex hole to match the round 73 hole, if you are going to use the energy suspension core support bushings, someone on here had an issue with them fitting but many of us used them with out issues, in looking at your pics i see what they were talking about the hex being smaller. just something to keep in mind

I got some CHEESEEEEE repop core support mounts in the trunk, I will try them first, otherwise I will just use the 73 hole to guide my slowly turning hole saw and enlarge them.

The Missus has 2 requirements taller seat and AC...well one is taken care of...

Going to go post on the 77 to 79 sub forum, but will ask here, does anybody have pics of the 351/400M AC mount bracket with the saginaw/hydro-boost pump? Seems I should have specified the PS pump I am using.Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 2:56PM
have you tried contacting the company you got the kit from, to see if they will swap you the correct bracket, or at least sell you just the correct bracket???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2017 at 3:33AM

have you tried contacting the company you got the kit from, to see if they will swap you the correct bracket, or at least sell you just the correct bracket???

HiYa John,
Yeah I thought of that, the owner was just as nice as described in the AC thread here. I think he would work something out for me, I will explore options this weekend and probably contact him on Monday

Edited by gentrysgarage - 03-March-2017 at 3:34AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2017 at 2:19PM
How do those Hooker headers fit around left side of the engine bay?  Is it tight by the steering box? What steering box does your car have, Saginaw or Ford?
Here's is a pic of a 400 Ford with the A/C brackets and a Saginaw pump. 

This guy ended up changing the distributor as the GM style HEI had clearance issues.   Great build project, a full roller 400 Ford for a 1978 Ford LTD.  I plan to do my engine pretty similar to this one when I do my build.  Here is his build thread is anyone is interested:

Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2017 at 5:35AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

How do those Hooker headers fit around left side of the engine bay?  Is it tight by the steering box? What steering box does your car have, Saginaw or Ford?

Hi Vince, got the transmission crossmember in and looks atleast 1/2" to at the most 3/4" clearance between the closest header tube and the Ford steering box.

Not much to report working on making accesory brackets for the motor, and locating a double groove water pump pulley, pics to come once this is done......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2017 at 5:28PM
Teaser Work In Progress pic...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 8:20PM

Been busy, not pic worthy, cleaned and painted the calipers, in the middle of painting the rims, almost done with the AC brackets, keep thinking of The Riddler and a certain botched Lincoln ...... they are big question marks! Will take pics once painted. The 5 and 8 year old nephews went to town on the interior floor...just might get it primered this weekend (crossing fingers). Wasn't finding a power seat for a reasonable price closer than 50 miles outside of Vegas when saw an ad for Crown Vic seats with the drivers side powered in town! Negotiated and got him to keep the cushions, ended paying $50.00 for the frames. I got to thinking and asked if he happened to have a fan, sure did 20.00 only had 16,000 when it was t-boned, that's brand practically new to me! I think I will wire it up with a home brewed PWM, if that doesn't work just wire it up with 2 speeds...would like the linear ramp up, but it is an auxiliary fan only (keeping the viscous fan if I can. so the linear ramp just might be over kill.

..will have to narrow should be easy enough

Edited by gentrysgarage - 04-April-2017 at 11:43AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2017 at 8:32PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 6:27AM
Well didn't get as much done as I hoped, but 99.998% of the the crappy glue from the sound deadener is GONE!

Hopefully next Saturday for primer!
Have to order window rollers...

QUESTION: Haven't fully investigated it yet, but is there a way to replace the roller on the window crank mechanism without removing the rivets..I.E. in place?

QUESTION: Does anybody have scanned or know of a place where the pages from the service manual concerning quarter window replacement and alignment are at?

I know now that this car originally had a Cobra Jet engine, automatic, gauges, Cross country suspension, cruise control and a column shift! What  an odd assortment of options. The floor was cut for a 4 speed and then changed back to an automatic.

Question: It looks like it originally had bucket seats, could you get buckets without a console?

Anybody have a picture of the factory automatic cutout? Would like to clean up the butcher job a little.

When I read somewhere on here that Mallory was bought by MSD, I started thinking what I would do about my distributor. Did not like the looks, size or the GM'ness feeling that the HEI ignition that came with the Lincoln 400, nor did I trust the DPO's cheap end Podtronics distributor (that is missing some screws even),  nor the big clunky and problematic Ford Ignition box that was the only problem with the 1978 LTD "the Killer Taxi Cab" my parents had when I was a kid...always was hearing "Where are all the hubcaps!" LOL!!
 So I came up with Plan "E"

Edited by gentrysgarage - 04-April-2017 at 11:46AM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:28AM
gentrysgarage wrote:
"Question: It looks like it originally had bucket seats, could you get buckets without a console?"
Don't know about your year, but my brother had a 78ish cougar (NON-XR7) with buckets and floorshift without a console. It had the little trim thing around the shifter like a Z7 Zephyr or Fairmont Futura.
Also 4 speed cars were available console-less with buckets.
A split bench mounts with 2 separate halves, with the same base tracks as buckets.
Whatever seats were in the car, the seat support brace has the holes for the bucket/split seats.
Most have the clip-bolt things installed in the holes.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 9:52AM
Yes, you could get bucket seats without a console.  The only requirement for that buckets was that it was limited to 2-door models.  IIRC, you only got a floor shift on an auto if you had the console.
Looks like some great work.   Looks like the ignition setup you chose should work well.  Looks similar to Todd's setup we discussed in the ignition thread.
Vince

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 1:13PM
Even with a console, no auto floor shift with tilt. 77-79,  no floorshift with a 400, no floorshift with a C6.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2017 at 1:24PM
thad, i just sent your parts out a few minutes ago!
yes what they said about the buckets
the window rollers...are you talking about the plastic roller for the window track? they are riveted but the replacements bolt into the hole or are you talking about the gear part of the regulator? i have a nice passenger side regulator available....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic