The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gpd294's Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 4:12AM
Aren't the front bumpers all the same on the Gran Torino from 73-76?
I would think the Torino/Gran Torino would be the same from 73-76
The 72 is different for the Gran and the Base model.

There is a decent 72 NOS BASE Bumper on E-bay and has been on there with no bids.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 4:19AM

Front Bumpers:
The 72 is a stand alone year.
The 73 Gran Torino,  Torino and 74 Torino is the same bumper.
The 74-76 Gran Torino is the same bumper.

Sorry pics are kinda small, but the 74-76 Gran Torino bumper has a more pronounced point in the middle and teh 73-74 Torino bumper is straighter.

Edited by gpd294 - 21-December-2010 at 4:25AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 4:28AM

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 4:43AM

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 4:45AM
There ya go. I tried getting the same angle photos to show what I was talking about. Hope this helps. Beleive me they are different. I had to purchase the right bumper to make it all work.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 5:20AM
I SEE!
The 72 is a stand alone year.
The 73 Gran Torino,  Torino and 74 Torino is the same bumper.
The 74-76 Gran Torino is the same bumper.

Thats what I thought on the GRAN Torino72 and 73 are stand alones
74-76 are the same.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 6:13AM
and the '75-'76 base Torino matches the '74-'76 Gran Torino...

Don't get us started on which ones match Elite, Cougar, and Montego, LOL
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 1:41AM
To gpd294 the link to the blue torino wagon was very nice. I love the Torino wagons as my father owned one . It was the work horse at our bakery. It was a base model 76 with 351 and no options radio delete, just a heater ,plastic seats to burn us as we got in the car in the summer. In 79 I saw a torino squire with the brougham interior at a scrap yard. I paid $75 for it . What a diffrence even my dad liked so much that he started to take better care of the car. We had her untill it was stollen and totaled in 1988 . It was good solid car.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 3:08AM
Thanks Interceptor, I appreciate the kudos. It's been a long road. but still much to do. Wink 

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 7:39AM
***NOTE: I hate to drag out this old post, but I couldn't find the one where I posted my restoration. 

Well Guys, it's been a long time coming, but she is finally headed toward the Mechanic shop hopefully to get her back on the road. Here are a few photos of her getting a ride. Notice my wife with the biggest grin and thumbs up cause she is temporarily gone. 0

The kids were actually a lil sad to see her go. I am beyond excited! After 3 years I am ready to drive her. 0

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=922285595408:1123974091 

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 8:52AM
Carlos,
Amazing how three years just seems to go right on by.  The slide show is great.  Beautiful work.  Keep us posted on the mechanical stuff.  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2011 at 6:14PM
Thanks Paul, for the support! Clap I really do appreciate it! Wink It's like you said about 3 years ago, it's not the most popular restoration, but it's one of a kind. Thumbs Up  Apparently, no one else wants a 73 Base model Torino, except me! Hug

Hope to see ya in TN in Sept 2011!

Thank you Sir! Handshake

galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2011 at 9:38PM
i have a 72 base model sw that i`m restoring . yours sw looks very amazing nice work . ricardo\

drive fast ,drive ford
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2011 at 4:58AM
Don't see to many around anymore especially in that condition. Goodluck parking next to another one.
Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2011 at 12:10PM
Ricardo, I have been keeping up with your build too. That is an awesome vision you got going on there. Here is guy from the wagon forum that went all out and made this from a 73 Torino wagon:

Sagin 73 Wagon

Chuck, Thanks for the kudos as well. These wagons are getting harder to find in decent shape. I have been searching for parts for the better part of 3 years since I started the restoration and that's not counting the two years it took me to find the entire wagon itself at the beginning. 

I stopped by the shop today and the engine is out. My mechanic is gonna let me do some grunt work of cleaning, painting, etc to save a few bucks. I had already re-done the inner wheel wells so the firewall is the only thing left that needs some attention as does the front suspension.

Uante, if you're reading, your thread about your engine compartment really comes in handy right now. Thanks for sharing!

By the way my mechanic said it's probably best to replace the exhaust system since it's out and the original piece. What do yall think, price wise?, will it be having a muffler shop do ALL the work?
(New muffler, supplying the pipe, bending pipe, welding together, etc - complete)  

I am going back original with one muffler and the Y pipe from the mainfolds. Nothing fancy just bare bones stock pretty much.    

Thanks for the input Guys!

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2011 at 4:50PM
Try Waldron's for exhaust. They claim they can reproduce almost any make and model, here's a link to your model (I think). The beauty of factory fit is it's all simple bolt together...no cutting, bending or welding.
   http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_40_91&products_id=4047    
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 5:33AM
that's a nice wagon and unlike the 73 base model 2dr Torino I had that nose looks pretty good and certainly more rare then the Gran Torino's your Dad would be proud
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 5:43AM

Thanks for the lead there Stan and the kudos Jeff! It's definitely been a labor of love.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2011 at 6:23AM

Here comes the fun stuff! I stopped by the mechanic shop and the engine is out. The firewall is a dirty mess as is the sheet metal (valve covers, oil pan, etc.) I am saving a few bucks by doing some of the labor intense cleaning and painting myself. I just wish the engine compartment didn't look so much like Medusa. What's with all the hoses going everywhere? I asked that he remove all the unecessary smog stuff and whatever else he can to make things a lil easier and less busy. I found out my oil pan has a rust hole so I need to look for another one now. The rest I think is gonna be ok. I plan on swinging by the shop and taking the long block to the engine builder sometime next week and start cleaning up that engine compartment and parts as well. Here are few photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=zovqivs.c0aeeld4&x=0&h=1&y=szb56j&localeid=en_US

Any ideas as to the best way to get all this stuff cleaned I'm open ears.

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2011 at 7:28AM
Carlos,
Great photos.  Keep them coming. 
Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic