The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gpd294's Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2011 at 7:37AM
is that a 400M cause you said this was originally a 75 and they stopped producing the 351 Cleveland in 74 and because the timing chain are is recessed into the block casting that is how the Cleveland and Modified blocks are
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2011 at 11:08AM
Yes I believe it is a 400 due to the 400 sticker on the aircleaner and valve covers. Everything appears to be factory original, but I'll know for sure when I take it over to the engine builder next week.

EDIT: After reading a lil bit of Bubba's 351M/400 page the only real way to know for sure is looking at the casting ID on the crankshaft.

They should be :
5MA
5MAB

So Monday when I go p/u the block I'll take a look to make sure. Pretty interesting stuff on that Bubba page.

Edited by gpd294 - 08-July-2011 at 11:20AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2011 at 3:04PM
Here's today's progress:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=zovqivs.c94jv1x4&x=0&h=1&y=-glsfn2&localeid=en_US

Tomorrow the engine is off to the re-builders and I start tackling the engine compartment.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2011 at 5:18PM
looked like you have a hole in your oil pan there ? it is some real nice work there best i have seen in a long time i know what you mean i have been working on my ranchero for about 3 years now trying to find the hard parts looking every where i can, at this time i am redoing the whole front end and the floor pans, it is a long process due to the parts are not being made.

Edited by inenidok - 10-July-2011 at 5:26PM
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 11:10AM
I just got home from the mechanic shop. The Long block is at the builders and should be ready by the end of the week. I spoke to my transmission guy and he said if I get him the transmission in the next couple days he should have it ready by next week so my mechanic should finish dropping it maybe tomorrow.

I spent the day in the HOT sun cleaning the engine compartment. Luckily the inner fender wells were already done as was the radiator support. But geez the frame and firewall was so NASTY! It had caked on grudge and grime that it took me the better part of the day to scrape it off. Then multiple repeats of degreaser and power washing. Each time I would degrease and scrub with a scotch brite and brush till all the grime was off. If it wasn't for the power washer I dunno what I would have done. 35 years of road grime was stuck on there like it had already made a home. Kinda like that rat that came home when the wagon was at the paint shop.

Everything was left to dry. All the smog stuff and A/C stuff is coming out so I can mask off what doesn't need paint. The frame itself is getting POR-15 Rust paint and the fire wall is getting the semi-gloss paint. There is just too much stuff to try and mask off around the firewall. Basically just the center of the firewall needs paint due to the sides had been done when the wagon was painted.

I've learned ALOT of what not to do with this restoration. Next time around I need my own work space where everything can be laid out and I NEED tools. A parts washer would come in handy as would a blast cabinet. Maybe not needed, but it would make things go alot quicker.

I stopped by the parts store and picked up some more Rustoleum OLD FORD BLUE paint for the engine block. The aircleaner and valve covers were first coated in Rustoleum engine primer and then the blue paint. They came out pretty good.

Hey Silver I did use multiple coats on those pieces and will do the same on the engine compartment tomorrow.

I didn't take the camera today cause I didn't want to leave it in the truck in this HEAT. Today's high was 100 and again tomorrow. I promise photos tomorrow though. Stay tuned!

Gotta celebrate a hard days work! Pub Geez I love vacation! Yahoo

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2011 at 1:13PM
Heres yesterday's progress:

I worked on my valve covers and aircleaner today. Got em all de-greased and painted. They are hanging in the garage drying now. I discovered a hole on the oil pan so I ordered a chrome one today and am gonna have the aircleaner lid chromed as well to balance things out. I thought about having the hood hinges chromed as well to make the complete circle, but we'll see about that. It depned how much my chrome guy charges, but if I can get em both done for about $100 I may go ahead and do it. I like a lil bling, but not too much. I'll post some photos this week of the engine compartment as I took the week off to run the engine block over to engine builder and clean up and paint that engine compartment so it's ready for the new engine.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2011 at 1:53PM
The week was long, but not long enough. I sweated up a storm, but the engine bay is a lil bit better than before. I was also able to have the oil pan repaired so I am going with the original versus the chrome oil pan I found online. I still need to clean and paint it, but it'll get done soon enough.

The engine has been rebuilt as has the transmission. Both are back at the mechanic shop ready for install. The engine will be painted Old Ford Blue and the transmission will stay the original steel color. Here are a few photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=zovqivs.7ajbfvyg&x=0&h=1&y=v z2qbm&localeid=en_US

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2011 at 3:03PM
Carlos,
Wow!  What a labor of love.  That engine bay looks incredible after painting and the engine looks clean enough to eat off of.  Fantastic stuff.  Keep the photos coming.  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2011 at 2:29AM
Hey Guys I need a lil help with the radiator and carb. First what's the difference between a 2 row Radiator and a 3 row radiator and which is better for my wagon to keep her cool? Second, I also need to get my carb rebuilt. I need to run by the shop to see excatly what I have, but I am assuming it is the original carb that came with it. 1975 gran Torino 6.6 400 V-8. What am I looking at ($) for a carb rebuild? Carl are you still re-building them on the side. I know you have been consumed with your new business venture so if you are busy, no biggee.  Thanks Guys! 

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2011 at 2:59AM
Carlos,

Airflow--the 2-core permits higher airflow than the denser 3-core, however, the 3-core has more surface area for the airflow to exchange heat with.  Probably a wash, but I suspect that the 3 core allows for greater heat exchange due to the greater surface area (taking into account periods of time when the car won't be moving) and more likely than not will keep temperatures 5-7 degrees cooler than the 2 core. 

Tube size--the larger tubes of the 2-core will not plug up as soon as the smaller tubes in the 3-core; however, if the system is properly maintained, we are talking years of reliable service with either one.

My recommendation:  3 core

On carbs, I'd buy a new Holley Carb and call it good.  Here's what I'm using. 

A plug and play application.  If you want to go with a 2V setup, I'd suggest.

I'd call Holley and give them the specs on your engine build.  I think 500cfm is fine for your application, but I'd call regardless because they can say for sure. 

Hope that helps,
Paul~
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 10:14AM
Well I stopped by the shop today to drop off the battery tray I ordered from Dearborn Classics. I also ordered the air cleaner 400 2V decal and engine compartment splash sheilds. The splash sheilds are made of a thin rubber material and they won't get installed until the wagon is home. She is coming along nicely, I must say The engine is in and they were gonna work on re-installing the transmission and gas tank next. So far so good. No unexpected surprises. But now that I said that I may have jinxed myself. Here are a couple photos of the engine back in her home.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=zovqivs.9wmrdwzs&x=0&h=1&y=-6u1voc&localeid=en_US

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 10:18AM
You should be proud. That is very nice, and God loves a wagon!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 10:44AM
I am gonna change the title and move this thread to the Project Updates section as this has turned into a Progress thread so might as well put it with the others
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 10:54AM
Thanks Jeff I'll be sure to update the Restoration more often as it comes along. I agree GOD does love the wagons! LOL

PS. Jeff Can you you rename the thread to "Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration"?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 10:57AM
motor looks good and so does the black engine compartment, nice work
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 11:01AM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Thanks Jeff I'll be sure to update the Restoration more often as it comes along. I agree GOD does love the wagons! LOL

PS. Jeff Can you you rename the thread to "Tribute Torino Wagon Restoration"?

Done
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2011 at 12:57PM
Carlos,
Nothing like fresh paint.  Great photos.  Keep 'em coming.  Paul~
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2011 at 11:01AM
I stopped by the shop today and the front end stuff is on, (radiator, fan shroud, alternator, etc.) Carb, distributor, and a few other pieces are still left to be installed to get her started up. The fuel lines have been blown out and cleaned. I'm just glad they were still usuable. Hopefully next time I stop by she'll be running.  We shall see. Star 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2011 at 12:43PM
yippee almost done
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2011 at 1:08PM
Just a quick update:

Stopped by the shop today because the mechanic had bad news. It turns out the Spectra radiator I purchased had a few seams down the sides that weren't welded together correctly. Ouch Good news is I called the vendor and I was refunded 100% of what I paid.  Big smile

Also they were working on repairing some wiring issues the RAT I brought home from the paint shop had eaten through. I think after I get a new radiator it shouldn't be too much longer before they spin her over.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic