The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...grille medallion combinations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...grille medallion combinations
    Posted: 06-May-2008 at 8:05AM

Torino Folks,

I've been trying to sort out the various medallion/emblem combinations for the 1972-1973 Torinos, Gran Torinos, Gran Torino Sports, Squire Wagons, and various Rancheros with limited success.  What has prompted me to try to get a handle on this topic is that I've seen various combinations of grilles without medallions/with medallions in various parts yards, "for sale" sign cars on the side of the road, and vintage photographs. 

Here's what I've got so far:
The grille medallion for the 1973 is deeper and designed to fit in the center of the grille as opposed to the 1972 which is thinner and sits to the driver's side right of center.  It is what I would call the "leaf" variety medallion with the crown/cougar emblem in the center.

1972 Gran Torinos, Gran Torino Sports and Rancheros had the thinner medallion with the crown/cougar emblem to the driver's side right of center from the factory. (Base model Torinos had a different grille and did not have a medallion/emblem combination; is this true with some Rancheros as well?)

The 1973 Gran Torino had the deeper "leaf" medallion/crown cougar emblem combination as it too sat in the center of the grille (vintage photos confirm this), but not the Sport model which apparently had the red, white, and blue, "gear" style as seen on the forum page itself.  1973 Ranchero 500s and Ranchero Squire had the deeper medallion/emblem combination with the crown/cougar emblem to the driver's side right of center from the factory.  Not sure about what models had the red, white, and blue "gear" medallion in the center such as the 1973 Ranchero 500 that I saw in Greenville, South Carolina).  I've also posted this on the Ranchero website as well. 

Please let me know if I don't have it right and feel free to update as necessary.

Thanks again and if anyone's interested in the 1973 Ranchero posted on the for sale area, let me know.

Paul~

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 5:51AM
A couple things to remember:

1.  Any time a replacement grille was installed, then what you have is not for sure. A great example of this is my 75 Gran Torino which is a Sport - my brother owned the car for a couple years prior to me and used to take the thing off road (he was like 17). He was giving a guy in a pickup a "push" who had a breakdown once and as you can imagine once a dip in the road came the grille was smashed out. He got a new one and installed in it, however the original Gran Torino emblem was already on this replacement, so he mounted the Sport emblem on the other side!

2.  The Sport emblem was used through 1975, which was the last year for the Sport (of which only a measly 5000 or so were made). On the 1974 there were sport emblems on the rear pillars, about in the Opera Window area.

3.  The standard Gran Torino emblem changed in 74 (and perhaps again after 74) to a more rectangular emblem, still retaining the crimson with three golden griffins. I can research that more if you like - I have all the sales brouchures which show the years emblems (typically).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply